The old Hellenistic town of Daorson was probably the centre of the Daorsoi tribe. The hillfort or a ...

Hellenistic Town of Daorson in OšanićiArchaeological sites

Basic Info

The old Hellenistic town of Daorson was probably the centre of the Daorsoi tribe. The hillfort or acropolis (central section) came into being on a prehistoric fortified settlement that had been in existence without interruption since the early to the late Bronze Age (respectively from the 17/th16th century BCE to the 9th/8th century BCE).
The town of Daorson had the features of a Hellenistic city. Its high degree of culture and civilization is evidenced by the fact that it minted its own coins and made complex, artistically-decorated buckles and clasps and pottery vessels, by graffiti on fragments, and by pieces of stone from human statues about 2 m in height. The material found dates from the 2nd and 4th century BCE and is housed in the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

Hellenistic Town of Daorson in Ošanićiarchaeological sites

The Old Town of Stolac (Vidoški grad) is one of the largest towns in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It use ...

OLD STOLAC FORTHistoric site

Basic Info

The Old Town of Stolac (Vidoški grad) is one of the largest towns in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It used to have thirteen towers in the 17th century and it was one of the best-fortified towns in Herzegovina. It comprises ten wells, a flour storage room, residential buildings and a mosque. Late antique substructures have been found on the northern side of the town (towers I-IV). Vidoški grad was first mentioned in the charter dated 19 February 1444, as the property of Stjepan Vukčić Kosača. Stolac became a part of the Ottoman Empire on 13 June 1465, and a part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in August 1878. The fort was repaired and annexed before 1888.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

OLD STOLAC FORThistoric site

Prehistoric vestiges (a hillfort and tumuli) can be found in the environs of the necropolis. ...

Necropolis of Stećak Tombstones Boljuni I and IIHistoric site

Basic Info

Prehistoric vestiges (a hillfort and tumuli) can be found in the environs of the necropolis.
The necropolis in Boljuni has 274 stećak tombstones, 92 of which are decorated and 19 of which have epitaphs, making it one of the largest necropolises and one in which the tombstones are the most richly decorated. The artistic originality of the various motifs is ascribed to one of the most productive artisans in the decoration of stećak tombstones, Grubač, who was buried in this necropolis (roughly between 1440 and 1460).
Motifs feature in this necropolis that are absent from other necropolises: the lion, a woman with a child in her arms, stylized rosettes, fantastic animals in the form of lizards, and a round-dance with the leader riding a deer.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

Necropolis of Stećak Tombstones Boljuni I and IIhistoric site

The Radimlja necropolis is one of the most valuable monuments of the mediaeval period in BiH. ...

NECROPOLIS OF STEĆAK TOMBSTONES OF RADIMLJAHistoric site

Address | Location on Map

Radimlja bb

Basic Info

The Radimlja necropolis is one of the most valuable monuments of the mediaeval period in BiH.
The majority of the stećak tombstones date from the 15th and 16th century, as recorded by the epitaphs referring to members of the Hrabren-Miloradovic family, which ruled Mostar, Stolac and Popovo at this time, and who are buried in Radimlja. According to information dating from 1967, the necropolis had 133 tombstones. Sixty-three of them are decorated. The finest decorated forms are gabled (ridge-shaped) and tall chest tombstones. Five of the tombstones have epitaphs.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

NECROPOLIS OF STEĆAK TOMBSTONES OF RADIMLJAhistoric site

The church is dedicated to the apostles Peter and Paul, and was built before 1505. Its founder was ...

CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, WITH BURIAL GROUND, JUDGES’ SEATS, COURTYARD AND WALL IN OŠANIĆISacral objects

Basic Info

The church is dedicated to the apostles Peter and Paul, and was built before 1505. Its founder was Duke Radosav of the Hrabren- Miloradović family. The parvis of the church contains two tombstones, one with the figure of an archer and the other with an epitaph, below which is the tomb of the founder of the church. Behind the apse is a tombstone beneath which the nun Marta was buried in 1562. Close to the church are two stone judges' seats dating from the early 15th century, which belonged to dukes from the Hrabren Miloradović family. The church had an important collection of movable heritage items, of which the most valuable were a 16th century icon of the death of Joseph and the Royal Doors – a masterpiece of woodcarving dating from the 17th century.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, WITH BURIAL GROUND, JUDGES’ SEATS, COURTYARD AND WALL IN OŠANIĆIsacral objects

The Čaršija mosque is also known locally as the old masjid, the Imperial Mosque, the mosque with e ...

ČARŠIJA MOSQUESacral objects

Basic Info

The Čaršija mosque is also known locally as the old masjid, the Imperial Mosque, the mosque with eleven pillars, and the mosque on the Tepa. There are two buildings in the complex that are older than the mosque itself. In the courtyard, to the left of the entrance to the sofas, are an old cistern or well and a stone facing the qibla, which was used as a namaz-taš – a stone for performing ritual prayer. A mekteb was built next to the Čaršija mosque, and a harem took shape around it. The Čaršija mosque is one of the three oldest in Herzegovina and one of the oldest in the whole of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The rehabilitation of the Čaršija mosque ensemble began in 2001.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

ČARŠIJA MOSQUEsacral objects

The church of St Nicholas was built in 1534 as an endowment of duke Radoje Hrabren Miloradović. Ar ...

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS IN TRIJEBANJSacral objects

Basic Info

The church of St Nicholas was built in 1534 as an endowment of duke Radoje Hrabren Miloradović. Archaeological investigations discovered the remains of a building (a church) dating from the 13th or 15th century close to this church. In 1815 the church „ceased to chant.” It was renovated in the mid 19th century by the Mostar merchant Samit Gavrilović. The frescoes in the church of St Nicholas in Trijebanj were commissioned by duke Radoje Hrabren Miloradović, and date from the 1530s or 1560s. Stylistically, they are associated with the painting in the monastery church of Nikoljac and the nave in Morača. The Trijebanj frescoes influenced later mural painting in Serbian Orthodox churches in the 16th and 17th centuries, and in particular the work of priest Strahinja of Budimlje. Before the church in Trijebanj was destroyed, it contained an icon of the Mother of God with Christ, a valuable work by a Cretan iconographer dating from the late 16th or early 17th century. The church of St Nich

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS IN TRIJEBANJsacral objects

The hammam was built at the end of the 16th or very early 17th century by Silahdar Husein pasha. ...

SITE AND REMAINS OF THE HISTORIC BUILDING OF THE HAMMAM ON THE ĆUPRIJA (BRIDGE) IN STOLACPublic buildings

Basic Info

The hammam was built at the end of the 16th or very early 17th century by Silahdar Husein pasha. He was probably related to the Šarić family of Stolac, since they were the mutevelijas (managers) of his vakuf (pious endowment). Until the Ćuprija mosque was built, this part of Stolac was known as the Hamam-mahala (baths quarter).
The hammam in Stolac was of the single hammam (tek-hamam) type, meaning that men and women used it at separate times. It remained in use until the mid 19th century, after which it was unused but in good condition until it was destroyed in 1993.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

SITE AND REMAINS OF THE HISTORIC BUILDING OF THE HAMMAM ON THE ĆUPRIJA (BRIDGE) IN STOLACpublic buildings

The Šarić house was built in 1147 AH (1734/35 CE) by Ismail Captain Šarić, a member of the first ...

ŠARIĆ HOUSE (BRANKO ŠOTRA GALLERY)Museums and galleries

Basic Info

The Šarić house was built in 1147 AH (1734/35 CE) by Ismail Captain Šarić, a member of the first family of captains, who held the post in the first half of the 18th century. The complex consists of the haremluk or private, family quarters, the selamluk or men’s and public quarters, and a garden. The façade of the property had a niche to hold a lantern, an example of street lighting in Stolac in the 18th and 19th century. In 1963 the house was divided. The haremluk was converted for use as the Branko Šotra Art Gallery, set up as a branch of the Art Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1963. The permanent exhibition consists of graphics by the artist Branko Šotra, born in 1906 in Trijebanj near Stolac, a total of 92 works, donated to the art gallery by the artist themselves, together with nine works by other artists. The Šarić house was set on fire and destroyed in July 1993, and the art works on display there were looted.

More Info

Stolac | all sights

x
×

ŠARIĆ HOUSE (BRANKO ŠOTRA GALLERY)museums and galleries

To manually optimise and edit your route

  • Rearrange illustration
    Drag and drop list items to rearrange them
  • Remove attraction illustration
    Click x to remove attraction from route
  • Make route icon
    Click MAKE ROUTE button again to generate new route on the map

When satisfied with your route

  • Save route icon
    Click SAVE ROUTE button to save it, you have to be logged in to save route
  • Generate eBooklet icon
    Click GENERATE eBOOKLET to generate pdf that you can print or save locally on your computer

Containing, in one small space, unique cultural-artistic and aesthetic values, Stolac’s historic core is an example of a complex cultural-historical and natural environmental ensemble. It is an example of the organic link between human and natural architectures, which also witnesses that the beauty of the location was decisive at its planning and building – the principle often present in the development of mediaeval towns.

Nine historical layers constitute the architectural ensemble of Stolac: pre-history, Illyrian-Roman epoch, the early Middle Ages, developed and late Middle Ages, Ottoman epoch, Austro-Hungarian epoch, and first and second Yugoslavia. The most visible material part of evidence of the town’s statement shows a multitude of various, influences on the architecture of town, in that encounter of contrasts and similarities, laws and paradoxes, planning and full spontaneity, lend this town a complex image of outstanding and universal value.

Due to its emphasised openness and easiness to survey, due to the non-everyday possibility and cultural privilege to grasp at a glance as many as four empires (Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, and Austro-Hungarian), three kingdoms (Bosnian, Hungarian and Yugoslav), three world’s monotheistic religions – Christianity (Orthodox Christianity and Catholicism), Islam, and Judaism – the most versatile architectural styles and customs within the cultural circles defined as Mediterranean, Central-European, West-European, Byzantine, Balkan, and Ottoman, the historical core of Stolac is a coherent and harmonious cultural-historical monument with individual properties grown together into one ensemble.

Stolac

Loading...