Diocletian Palace is one of the best preserved monuments of the late antique construction art. ...

Diocletian Palace CellarsUNESCO Monuments

Basic Info

Diocletian Palace is one of the best preserved monuments of the late antique construction art. It was built between the years 295 and 305, pursuant to the idea of the Emperor Diocletian and his architects, representing the entirely new type of the fortified and luxurious imperial residence. The northern part of the monumental complex was designed to accommodate the military and the support personnel, whereas the southern section was designed for the Emperor's residential and cult purposes.
Centuries of construction activities transformed the original architectural structure of the imperial residence on the upper floor. However, the substructures, popularly called the Cellars, in the southern part of the Palace, show the original form and layout of the facilities within the Diocletian's residence. The construction of the basement halls was conditioned by the geological substrate, composed of sea cliffs that descend steeply from the north to the south.

Split | all sights

x
×

Diocletian Palace Cellarspublic buildings, unesco monuments

Croatian National Theatre

Trg Gaje Bulata 1

Croatian National Theatre in Split was opened on May 6, 1893 at the square in town district Dobri. ...

Croatian National TheatrePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Trg Gaje Bulata 1

Basic Info

Croatian National Theatre in Split was opened on May 6, 1893 at the square in town district Dobri, presently named after the former mayor Gajo Bulat. In the beginning the theatre had no permanent artistic ensemble, and the programmes were mostly performed by the travelling theatre opera troupes. Theatre building was renovated for the first time in 1920, the year when the first professional drama ensemble was established with the official title National Theatre for Dalmatia. Professional theatre which had been active until then was suspended in 1928, and pursuant to decision of then competent Ministry of education, Split theatre was merged with Sarajevo theatre, resulting in so called West Districts’ National Theatre. Theatre building was again refurbished in 1940, in line with the establishment of Croatian National Theatre in Split, which had Opera, Drama and Ballet sections. The first intendant was Ivo Tijardović, Marko Fotez was Drama director, Oskar Jozefović Opera director and Ball

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Croatian National Theatrepublic buildings

City Youth Theatre Split

Trg Republike 1

City Youth Theatre Split was founded in December 1943, in El Shatt. ...

City Youth Theatre SplitPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Trg Republike 1

Basic Info

City Youth Theatre Split was founded in December 1943, in El Shatt, at the initiative of several enthusiasts among Croatian refugees. Upon returning to the home country the society has continued its work, assiduously strengthening its activities, and in 1953 develops in Children Theatre “Tito's sailors” with the task of joining children and youth in drama and ballet section, and choir. New theatre has got the professional management, and the title of its first general manager was assigned to Nikola Karninčić. Since 1965 the Theatre has had the professional actors’ ensemble. Its stage was the starting point for some of the most famous names of Croatian theatre: Boris Dvornik, Ivica Vidović, Josip Genda, Mirko Kraljev, Neva Bulić, Zoja Odak, Magda Matošić, Veronika Kovačić, Marija Sekelez, Senka Bulić, Gertruda Munitić, Mani Gotovac, Davor Borčić, Rikard Simonelli, Franko Strmotić, Nenad Šegvić, Milan Štrljić, Trpimir Jurkić, Marija Škaričić, Nataša Janjić and many other renowned artists

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

City Youth Theatre Splitpublic buildings

At the initiative of Mirko Božić and Damjan Dujišin, on March 8, 1945 was launched the Puppet Th ...

Split City Puppet TheatrePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Tončićeva 1

Basic Info

At the initiative of Mirko Božić and Damjan Dujišin, on March 8, 1945 was launched the Puppet Theatre of the County Committee of Central Dalmatia People's Front, managed by Mirko Božić himself. In 1946 it was renamed in Puppet Theatre „Pioneer“ and performed as such until 1992, when it became Split Puppet Theatre, and in 1994 has acquired its present title: Split City Puppet Theatre.
In its productions CPL promotes national and international literary patrimony, in the same time questioning the world in which the children live nowadays, and trying to establish the communication from the stage with each child in the public.


CPT Split every year has three to four premiere performances of puppet theatre and theatre for children aged 3 to 10, and each season the programme offers about ten re-runs. Annually almost 40.000 children enjoy in more than 300 performances. Besides the performances for children, CPT Split also produces the cycle of jazz-concerts, held each year in February.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Split City Puppet Theatrepublic buildings

The Cipci Palace

Peristyle

Originally the palace of the commune with courtyard and loggia constructed in the 13th century. ...

The Cipci PalacePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Peristyle

Basic Info

Originally the palace of the commune with courtyard and loggia constructed in the 13th century alongside the western colonnade of the Perystile, on the site of the ancient Temple of Venus. In the 15th century, the George of Dalmatia workshop remodelled it in the Late Gothic style for the old Split patrician family of Cipci. The third floor of the palace, above the cornice of the Antique colonnade is in the Renaisance style and is ascribed to Niccolo di Giovanni. It was restored in 1980. The other floors on the main elevationare in the Baroque style were remodelled in the second half of the 18th and in 19th century. Since 1941 the Luxor Cafe has occupied the palace, and the Romanesque loggia of the commune is preserved in its interior.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Cipci Palacepublic buildings

The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis who ruled in Korčula. ...

Palača Ciprianis BenedettiPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca

Basic Info

The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis who ruled in Korčula. In 1860 it came into the hands of the Benedetti family. Particulary prominent are the two six-light mullioned windows with double columns in late Romanesque style, a rarity in secular architecture, and the relief of st Anthony the Hermit, with a depiction of C. de Ciprianis as donor.

Split | all sights

x
×

Palača Ciprianis Benedettipublic buildings

The medieval complex owned by the Skočibučić family alongside the western colonnade of the Perist ...

The Skočibučić PalacePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Peristyle

Basic Info

The medieval complex owned by the Skočibučić family alongside the western colonnade of the Peristyle was constructed on the remains of the antique Temple of Cybele, parts of wich are presented in situ in the ground floor of the building. The Gothic rebuilding in the first half of the 15th century united a number of Romanesque houses into a palace with an interior courtyard and loggia, while the Renaissance elevation of the 16 century facing the Peristyle was remodelled in the 19th century. Since the restoration at the beginning of the 21 century, the palace has been used as exhibition space.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Skočibučić Palacepublic buildings

The Late Gothic palace with courtyard was built in the second half of the 15th century. ...

The Palace at DosudPublic buildings

Basic Info

The Late Gothic palace with courtyard was built in the second half of the 15th century on top of the substructures of the SW part of Diocletian's Palace and was completed in the Renaissance style. In its spatial conception and architectural decoration it is connected to the circle of George of Dalmatia. The hemisphere in the lunette of the courtyard portal shows that it did not belong to a noble family.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Palace at Dosudpublic buildings

The Tartaglia Palace

Šubićeva 2

This 18th century Baroque palace once belonged to the ancient Split patrician family of Tartaglia. ...

The Tartaglia PalacePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Šubićeva 2

Basic Info

This 18th century Baroque palace once belonged to the ancient Split patrician family of Tartaglia. The residential quarters are deployed around an internal cortyard wich is reached from the mainportal by an atrium the height of the ground floor and mezzanine. It was cretad on the lines of Venetian Baroque palaces, with a central organisation of space, as interpreted by local builders.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Tartaglia Palacepublic buildings

The Bajamonti –Dešković Palace

Trg dr. Franje Tuđmana 3

This revival–style palace was built about 1858 as the house of mayor of split dr Antonio Bajamonti ...

The Bajamonti –Dešković PalacePublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Trg dr. Franje Tuđmana 3

Basic Info

This revival –style palace was built about 1858 as the house of mayor of split dr Antonio Bajamonti, on the site of the demolished Baroque bastion, Šperun. In the first floor salons, the ceilings were painted with allegorical scenes by Antonio Zucarro in 1858. Above the roof cornice there are four monumental stone statues, allegories of the Virtues, deriving from 18 century Venice. At the end of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century the attics hosted the studios of leading Split photographers and painters. Since 1900 it has been owned by the patrician Dešković family.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Bajamonti –Dešković Palacepublic buildings

The Fish Market

Obrov 5

The Fish Market was built in Revival style after a design by Ante Bezić. ...

The Fish MarketPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Obrov 5

Basic Info

The Fish Market was built in Revival style after a design by Ante Bezić. The glazed roof, with its cast iron construction, its functional basilical lighting and a number of apertures placed high for the purpose of ventilation, is a fine example of engineering construction.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Fish Marketpublic buildings

The Sulphur Spa

Marmontova 4

This building made in 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen. ...

The Sulphur SpaPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Marmontova 4

Basic Info

This building made in1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its richly decorative elevations and interiors, of Croatian Art Nouveau architecture. It was built over natural sulphur springs that have been used for therapeutic purposes since the 18th century.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Sulphur Spapublic buildings

The building of the Croatian house was built between 1906 and 1908. ...

The Croatian housePublic buildings

Basic Info

The building of the Croatian house, built between 1906 and 1908 after a design of the architect Kamilo Tončić, was the most prestigious Art Nouveau building in Split. During the Italian Occupation of 1941 – 1943, the fine Art Nouveau decorations were stripped from the main fasade and the grand hall. Today the ground floor is occupied by the Split City Puppet Theatre, and the grand hall on the first floor is being remodelled as a concert hall.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Croatian housepublic buildings

This is the earliest example of Art Nouveau architecture in Split. ...

The Nakić PalacePublic buildings

Basic Info

A mixed-used three storey building of outstanding architectural and urban value, this is the earliest example of Art Nouveau architecture in Split. It was built from 1901 to 1906 for the prosperous Split merchant Vicko Nakić. To date, it is the only known built design of his son, the architect Špiro Nakić,who was trained in Vienna. The initials of father and son and the years of commencement and conclusion of the construction are inscribed in medallions which, along with other opulent Art Nouveau decoration, grace the principal fasade.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Nakić Palacepublic buildings

Hotel Slavija

Buvinina 2

The oldest existing hotel opened in 1900, created by adapting the Renaissance-Baroque palace from th ...

Hotel SlavijaPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Buvinina 2

Basic Info

The oldest existing hotel opened in 1900. It was created by adapting the Renaissance-Baroque palace from the 17th century. Since the beginning of the 20th century there is a guesthouse, which was in 1920 named Slavia. The most important part of this place are the western spa of Palace, preserved in the ground floor of the hotel. In the seventies of the 20th century there were found significant remains of Roman architecture, walls and hypocaust.

Split | all sights

x
×

Hotel Slavijapublic buildings

Archaeological Museum in Split

Zrinsko - Frankopanska 25

Archaeological Museum in Split was founded upon issuing of the Decree by the Dalmatian government on ...

Archaeological Museum in SplitMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Zrinsko - Frankopanska 25

Opening Hours

Monday- Saturday (June-September): 9.00 to 14.00; 16.00 to 20.00
Monday-Friday (October-May): 9.00 to 14.00; 16.00 to 20.00
Saturday: 9.00 to 14.00

Basic Info

Archaeological Museum in Split was founded upon issuing of the Decree by the Dalmatian government on August 22, 1820. The Museum library possesses rich holdings of books and magazines on classical archaeology, prehistorical times, numismatics, history and art history, which refers to the Dalmatian area, from prehistory to the early Middle Ages. A special section is dedicated to old and rare books published before 1850, and includes eight incunabulas. The collection of proclamations and posters, as well as the cartographic collection is also very significant. The bust of pater Frane Bulić, work of Ivan Meštrović, was set up in the Museum garden. The Museum owns rich collections of prehistoric, Greek-Hellenistic, Roman-Provincial, late ancient, medieval, epigraphic, numismatic, as well as the collection of underwater archaeology and art collection. The lapidary with stone monuments in the two wings, from Greek to medieval stone exhibits, is particularly attractive.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Archaeological Museum in Splitmuseums and galleries

The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split is one of the oldest museums in Croatia. ...

The Museum of Croatian Archaeological MonumentsMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Stjepana Gunjače bb

Opening Hours

Monday-Friday: 09.00 to 16.00
Saturday: 09.00 to 14.00

Basic Info

The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split is one of the oldest museums in Croatia. It is the unique and the only institution in Croatia with the purpose to research, collect, examine and present the remainders of medieval spiritual cuture of Croatian people, with particular regard to the period of independence of the early medieval Croatian state, dated in 9th to 12th century. The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments currently disposes with the rich holdings of 20.000 items of medieval archaeological patrimony. Those are mainly. samples of different jewelry items, weapons and everyday items, and a large number of stone monuments which belonged, at the time, to the medieval church interiors.
The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments, owing to its collection of decorative (Croatian pleter) and figural plastic and a number of Latin epigraphic monuments, can be regarded as one the biggest collections of its kind in Europe.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monumentsmuseums and galleries

Ethnographic Museum

Iza Vestibula 4

Ethnographic Museum in Split was founded on July 3, 1910, being the first ethnographic museum in Cro ...

Ethnographic MuseumMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Iza Vestibula 4

Opening Hours

Monday-Saturday: 09:30 to 19:00,
Sunday: 09:00 to 13:00

Basic Info

Ethnographic Museum in Split was founded on July 3, 1910, being the first ethnographic museum in Croatia. It was founded in the Crafts School by the architect Kamilo Tončić, who was passionate about collecting artistic works and objects. From the beginning of its activities, the Museum curators, ethnologists, focused on research of traditional and contemporary culture in Dalmatia. Therefore, the majority of objects kept in the Museum originate from the local area. The visitors are introduced to the traditional way of dressing and decorations of inhabitants of Dalmatia, as well as to the changing fashion in clothing in more recent times. The visitors are also introduced to the traditional weapons, specimens of traditional handicrafts and furniture, atmosphere in traditional folk rooms, furnished with authentic furniture dated at the beginning of the last century. The exhibition presents art collections, collections of jewelry, weapons, chests, and costumes of Adriatic and Dinaric area.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Ethnographic Museummuseums and galleries

Emanuel Vidović Gallery

Poljana kraljice Jelene bb

Emanuel Vidović Gallery is dedicated to one of the most significant Croatian artists, Emanuel Vidov ...

Emanuel Vidović GalleryMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Poljana kraljice Jelene bb

Opening Hours

Tuesday-Friday (Winter) : 09:00 to 16:00
Saturday-Sunday: 10:00 to 16:00
Tuesday-Friday (Summer): 09:00 to 21:00
Saturday-Sunday: 9:00 to 16:00

Basic Info

Emanuel Vidović Gallery is dedicated to one of the most significant Croatian artists, Emanuel Vidović (Split, 1870 – 1953). It was founded with the objective to collect, process, research, protect and present the Artist’s work and the spiritual heritage. The Gallery makes the whole with the City Museum of Split. It is situated in the classicist house next to the Diocletian’s Palace Porta argentea (Silver gate). It holds the exceptionally valuable works of art and literary exhibitions that highlight the fusion of both traditional and modern in Vidović's work. The exhibitions of renowned Croatian artists, with particular emphasis on the Split artistic milieu, are regularly organized in the Emanuel Vidović Gallery.

Split | all sights

x
×

Emanuel Vidović Gallerymuseums and galleries

Ivan Meštrović Museum – Meštrović Gallery

Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića 45

Meštrović Gallery is situated in a villa with the atelier of the Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrovi ...

Ivan Meštrović Museum – Meštrović GalleryMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića 45

Opening Hours

Tuesday- Saturday: 09:00 to 16:00
Sunday: 10:00 to 15:00

Basic Info

Meštrović Gallery is situated in a villa with the atelier of the Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović (1883 - 1962). It is a part of the donation by Ivan Meštrović to the Republic of Croatia dated in 1952. The Gallery holds the Artist's masterpieces made of marble (Psyche, Contemplation), bronze (Distant Chords, Cyclops, Persephone, Madonna with the Child, Job), wood (Sad angels and Happy angels) and gypsum (Pietà), which cover all the periods of the Artist's rich creative production. In addition to Museum holdings (sculptures, drawings, paintings, architectural drawings and furniture), the Gallery keeps documentation that refers to life and work of Ivan Meštrović - photos of early Artist's works taken at the beginning of the century in Vienna and Paris, as well as various archives. Firstly, it keeps the family archives found in the house in 1952, containing letters of family members and friends, their personal documents ...etc.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Ivan Meštrović Museum – Meštrović Gallerymuseums and galleries

Crikvine – Kaštilac Meštrović

Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića 39

Crikvine – Kaštilac Meštrović is the sacral-artistic complex, not far from the Meštrović Gall ...

Crikvine – Kaštilac MeštrovićMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića 39

Basic Info

Crikvine – Kaštilac Meštrović is the sacral-artistic complex, not far from the Meštrović Gallery. It was obtained after the restoration of the agricultural estate of Capogrosso family in the 16th century. The abandoned complex was bought in 1939 by Ivan Meštrović and his brother Petar with the purpose to refurbish it and use it for different purposes.The western part of the complex was intended for the showroom of his statues; he built the porch to accommodate the plaster models and the present-day church of St. Cross with wooden reliefs depicting the life of Jesus Christ. The eastern part of the complex, with the church of Our Lady of Good Counsel dated in the 16th century, was scheduled for living. Crikvine occupy a unique place within Meštrović’s opus due to architectural and sculptural features of the whole, integrity of the thematic cycles, connecting natural and historic environment, and it can be perceived as the Artist's emotional attachment to this area.

Split | all sights

x
×

Crikvine – Kaštilac Meštrovićmuseums and galleries

Art Gallery

Ulica Kralja Tomislava 15

Art Gallery is the museum institution with the exceptionally rich and diversified artistic holdings. ...

Art GalleryMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Ulica Kralja Tomislava 15

Opening Hours

Tuesday- Friday: 10:00 to 18:00
Saturday- Sunday: 10:00 to 14:00

Basic Info

Art Gallery is the museum institution with the exceptionally rich and diversified artistic holdings. Founded in 1908, it was opened for public only in 1931. Since 2009 it has been situated in representative facility in the very core of the town, uniquely embraced by the ancient imperial palace and the baroque defensive walls.
The Art Gallery building was predestined for the first town hospital and it was constructed in 1792, pursuant to the project designed by Split developer Petar Kurir. Specific and valuable holdings of the museum presently exceed 5200 works of art, spanning the time from the 14th century until recent artistic production. Besides the works of Croatian authors, the Gallery holds the works of the artists from Yugoslavia, Italy, Germany, Austria, France and Czech Republic.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Art Gallerymuseums and galleries

Split City Museum

Papalićeva 1

Split City Museum is located in the gothic-renaissance palace was built in 15th and 16th century. ...

Split City MuseumMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Papalićeva 1

Opening Hours

Monday-Saturday: 09:00 to 17:00
Sunday: 09:00 to 4:00

Basic Info

Split City Museum is located in the gothic-renaissance palace, built in 15th and 16th century, and it belonged to the aristocratic family Papalić. The Papalić Palace, with the courtyard, loggia and the well, as well as the hall on the first floor, can definitely be regarded as one of the most beautiful cultural and historical monuments of the City of Split. The beginning of the Museum activity and collection of the Museum funds in Split are closely linked to Papalić Palace. The Museum holds, keeps and presents the material and spiritual past of the city, tells the story about the city history – not only by exhibiting the museum items, but also by having 200 audio recordings and photo galleries. The audio recordings and photo galleries are available to the Museum visitors via the Smart Guide smart phone platform in Croatian and English language.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Split City Museummuseums and galleries

Croatian Maritime Museum

Glagoljaša 18

Croatian Maritime Museum Split is the specialised scientific institution for the maritime heritage. ...

Croatian Maritime MuseumMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Glagoljaša 18

Opening Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00 to 15:00
Thursday: 9:00 to 19:00
Sunday: 9:00 to 15:00

Basic Info

Croatian Maritime Museum Split is the specialised scientific institution which researches, collects, preserves, protects, recovers and duly presents the maritime heritage. It was established in 1997, in line with tradition of maritime museology in Split, dated in 1925. Museum is dedicated to promotion of Croatian maritime patrimony by raising the awareness on its preciousness. Presenting the ship as cultural patrimony of Croatian nation, Museum has been the first in Croatia to protect the ship as cultural heritage, as the monument of culture. Museum exhibitions are divided in external and internal part. Museum courtyard, dominated by the bow section of the steamship Bakar originating from 1931, is the venue for larger dimensions exhibits. Maritime Museum Split preserves some extraordinary samples, masterpieces of Croatian shipbuilding tradition. Outdoor exhibition is further enriched by characteristic sections of the floating crane Veli Jože and numerous weapons from two world wars.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Croatian Maritime Museummuseums and galleries

Split Hall of Fame was founded by the end of 2007, within the Sports Centre Gripe dedicated to Split ...

Museum of Sports Split – Split Hall of FameMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Osječka 11

Opening Hours

Monday-Friday ( June- September): 09:00 to 12:00; 18:00 to 21:00
Saturday: 09:00 to 12:00
Monday-Friday (October-May): 09:00 to 12:00; 17:00 to 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 to 12:00

Basic Info

Split Hall of Fame was founded by the end of 2007, within the Sports Centre Gripe intended as the first phase of the future museum dedicated to Split sport achievements.
Central part of Hall of Fame presents the most famous Split athletes and sport officials. Each of them is presented through multimedia stand, displaying his work and results, and respective items exhibited alongside each stand. Besides, the Hall of Fame setup provides the names of all Split athletes participating at Olympic Games (161), names of Olympic medallists (60), and the photographs of the first Split Olympians, participants of the Games of VIII Olympiad in Paris in 1924. Numerous sports trophies and items that have belonged to the athletes (memorabilia, equipment, dresses, photographs..) are displayed in showcases.

Split | all sights

x
×

Museum of Sports Split – Split Hall of Famemuseums and galleries

Natural History Museum

Poljana kneza Trpimira 3

By the beginning of the 20th century City of Split has been donated several valuable naturalistic co ...

Natural History MuseumMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Poljana kneza Trpimira 3

Opening Hours

Monday-Friday (October-May): 09:00 to 17:00
Saturday: 09:00 to 13:00
Monday-Friday (June- September): 09:00 to 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 to 13:00

Basic Info

By the beginning of the 20th century City of Split has been donated several valuable naturalistic collections, which has motivated prof. Umberto Girometta to initiate the establishment of Natural History Museum in Split in 1923. Natural History Museum researches natural phenomena, collects professionally and scientifically, processes, systematises and presents the role and development of wildlife and inanimate nature and human, popularizes natural science, emphasising the Museum peculiarities in all the segments. Besides protection and presentation of museum holdings, this institution is also involved in educational activity of pre-school children, elementary and high school pupils, students…Natural History Museum disposes with ca. 145 thousand museum items, allocated in 45 minor and larger collections. Zoological collections are the most numerous collections of Natural History Museum, which show marine and coastal invertebrates and marine and land vertebrates.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Natural History Museummuseums and galleries

Photo Club Split

Marmontova 5

Photo Club Split was founded on April 26, 1911 at the assembly held in Cinema „Karaman“. ...

Photo Club SplitMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Marmontova 5

Opening Hours

Monday-Friday: 10:30 to 12:30; 18:30 to 21:30
Saturday: 10:30 to 13:00

Basic Info

Photo Club Split was founded on April 26, 1911 at the assembly held in Cinema „Karaman“. The first president of the Club was prof. Juraj Božičević, and secretary Umberto Girometta. At the beginning it shared the exhibition space with Salon Galić; since 1956 when Photo Gallery detached from Salon Galić, it has developed lively exhibition and educational activities which Photo Club Split has maintained without interruption all to the present times. Thus Photo Club Split became the meeting point of new generations of photographers and true centre of most distinctive photographic events in the town. In new millennium, Photo Club Split has been dedicated to exhibition and educational activities, reaching true co-habitation with citizens of Split. Each year in its Gallery it organises on average 24 exhibitions.

More Info

Split | all sights

x
×

Photo Club Splitmuseums and galleries

Riva in Split today's form assumed in the early 19th century, when French ruled Split. ...

Riva in SplitPublic squares and streets

Basic Info

Riva in Split today's form assumed in the early 19th century, when French ruled Split. A hundred years later, the indigenous plant species were replaced by palm trees, and in the end of 20th century Riva was finally closed for traffic. 2007 Riva has shone in new splendor after the restoration to which some responded with excitement and other with strong resentment. During these works archaeological research was carried out and was discovered that Riva in Split dates back to the first century BC., althought the first 'right' promenade was made at the time of Diocletian. This promenade consists of approximately 250 meters long quay that on the west side is bordered by Franciscan Monastery of St. Francis, Palace Dešković and Prokurative, while at the southeast is building of Port Authority. Between the Diocletian's Palace on the northern end of the promenade and the sea is an avenue of palm trees, surrounded by the pleasant green belt with benches, which is an ideal place for relaxation.

Split | all sights

x
×

Riva in Splitpublic squares and streets

Peristyle

Peristyle

Peristyle is a square located at the intersection of two major ancient roads. ...

PeristylePublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Peristyle

Basic Info

Peristyle is a square located at the intersection of two major ancient roads, that intersect the Palace in the east - west (Decumanus) and north - south (Cardo). Always alive and full of passers-by, a real magnet for tourists.
Peristyle is dominated by the magnificent Cathedral of St. Duje. In front of Cathedral is a black sphinx, another reminder of Diocletian and his love of these mythical creatures. The front of the square is divided into two parts: the upper leads to Protiron and Vestibule, and the lower part leads to magnificent palace cellars.

Split | all sights

x
×

Peristylepublic squares and streets

The Square – Pjaca

Narodni trg / Pjaca

Pjaca in Split is a city square made with urban expansion of the city in The Middle Ages to the west ...

The Square – PjacaPublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Narodni trg / Pjaca

Basic Info

Pjaca in Split is a city square made with urban expansion of the city in The Middle Ages to the west of the Iron Gate of Diocletian's Palace.
The new main square was shaped in the area of an ancient pre-Romanesque church of St. Lawrence, which is called the Square St. Lawrence and was first mentioned in 1225 year. It was surrounded with representative buildings, such as the late Gothic complex of the Ducal Palace with the Commune Palace and the Town Hall and also with the municipal theater with a dungeon. The Square St.Lawrence later changed names several times in Place d'Armes and Gentleman Square, and finally in the early 20th century got the name that carries today - The Square.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Square – Pjacapublic squares and streets

Square of the Republic in Split was built in the 19th century, inspired by the famous Saint Mark Squ ...

Square of the Republic in Split – ProkurativePublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Square of the Republic

Basic Info

Square of the Republic in Split was built in the 19th century, inspired by the famous Saint Mark Square in Venice. For that reason, the buildings around it are popularly known as "Prokurative" (after the more famous "Procuratie" in Venice). The project of „Prokurative“ was idea of major of Split Antonio Bajamonti that in 1859 opened the Teatro Bajamonti, theater of impressive dimensions, which was destroyed in fire in 1882 but, however, the building was later rebuilt, althougt in a different form. In this space today stands City Youth Theatre Split. In the period 1863 to 1867 was built the western 'extension', while from 1909th to 1928th (with interruptions) east wing was built.

Split | all sights

x
×

Square of the Republic in Split – Prokurativepublic squares and streets

Fruit Square (Voćni trg)

Square of Brothers Radić

This square is maybe the most beautiful one in the city. ...

Fruit Square (Voćni trg)Public squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Square of Brothers Radić

Basic Info

This square, maybe the most beautiful one in the city, to the citizens of Split is more familiar under its unofficial rather than its official name of Trg Braće Radić (Square of the Radić brothers). Its "familiar" name comes from the fact that it was once home to the bustling and colourful market where women from the surrounding villages came to sell their fruit. There are several landmarks decorating this not so large a square thriving with city life in bars, restaurants and exclusive shops, a venue often used also by fairs. The biggest is certainly the octagonal Venetian tower, the leftover of the former fortress, built in the 15th century for the defence of, at the time, a small town. Opposite the tower is a magnificent Palace of the old family Milesi from the 17th century with a spectacular Baroque facade, one of the best examples of that style in the whole of Dalmatia.

Split | all sights

x
×

Fruit Square (Voćni trg)public squares and streets

Although a conqueror, Napoleon's marshal Marmont is responsible for the urbanisation of Dalmati ...

Marmont streetPublic squares and streets

Basic Info

Although a conqueror, Napoleon's marshal Marmont is responsible for the urbanisation of Dalmatian cities beacause in return the citizens of Split have named their most beautiful street after him. Marmont street is not only beautiful but also historically meaningful. In 1922 a library and a reading room has been founded there for Francophiles, today Alliance Francaise. The first cinema of Split found its home there as well. A unique fish market decorates its centre, special because of the fact that you won't find flies there due to the smell of sulphur which can still be felt from the neighbouring spa. It is also decorated by the beautiful Secession buildings Duplančić and Tončić, while its northern end boarders through Venetian bastion with the architecture of the Theatre and the church of Our Lady of Good Health. Two of the most popular exhibition centres in the city are also in this street, Salon Galić and the Photo Gallery.

Split | all sights

x
×

Marmont streetpublic squares and streets

Veli Varoš was born in the Middle Ages, but already existed in the 15th century and was expanded in ...

Veli VarošPublic squares and streets

Basic Info

Veli Varoš was born in the Middle Ages, but certainly already existed in the 15th century and was significantly expanded in the 16th century. A hundred years later, most of the local houses were demolished because of the Turkish threat and the construction of defensive fortifications, so today of the originally Varoš remained little. Later in this area was built Church of St. Cross and the famous Monastery of St. Francis, who according to tradition was founded by St. Francis of Assisi. Varoš is known for the laborers' houses, small and narrow streets, which are witness of life of common people.

Split | all sights

x
×

Veli Varošpublic squares and streets

Marjan is the primary natural symbol of Split. ...

MarjanParks and gardens

Basic Info

Marjan is the primary natural symbol of Split. Nature plated the northern slopes mainly in limestone, while the southern ones are set in stone, some layers of marl and a rocky shoreline. From the eastern boarder towards the west, all the way to the cape St. Jure, it is 3.5 kilometres long and 1.5 kilometres wide. Its three peaks, three unique belvedere's, are stretching above the sea 125, 148 and 178 meters, with a view towards Split, the surrounding islands, the Kaštela Riviera, Solin and Trogir. Citizens of Split, out of their affection for it, started with its afforestation in 1852, planting the first pine trees, and already in 1903 they have established the Marjan Association which has been taking care of this wondrous hill ever since.

Split | all sights

x
×

Marjanparks and gardens

Strossmayer's garden or Đardin ...

Strossmayer Park– “Đardin”Parks and gardens

Address | Location on Map

Strossmayer Park

Basic Info

Strossmayer's garden or Đardin as the citizens of Split only call it,has settled in-between the two bastions, the remains of the Venetian fortification, north of the Diocletian palace beside its main entrance - The Golden Gate. This area takes over the function of the main city garden in 1859, and in mid-20th century a beautiful fountain was added with the so called "Putto" (a figure resembling an angel). The present outlook is the result of the last renovations in 2002, with the lyrics of a great Croatian poet Tin Ujević carved on the surrounding walls, and a new modernistic fountain on the west side of Đardin. Right next to the park is the renowned monument to the Bishop Gregory of Nin, the remains of a Medieval monastery, the Art Gallery as one of the most important museums of Split, which all together makes this part of the city one of the cultural centres of Split.

Split | all sights

x
×

Strossmayer Park– “Đardin”parks and gardens

Emanuel Vidović Park

Emanuel Vidović Park, Lovret

This smaller yet beautifully decorated park is located in the part of Split called Lovret. ...

Emanuel Vidović ParkParks and gardens

Address | Location on Map

Emanuel Vidović Park, Lovret

Basic Info

This smaller yet beautifully decorated park is located in the part of Split called Lovret. It got its name in the honour of the renowned painter from Split, Emanuel Vidović, whose opus can be seen in the Emanuel Vidović Gallery next to the Silver Gate of the Diocletian Palace. The Park is one of the most popular places for families with children, but also for teenagers and students, an excellent place to relax and rewind.

Split | all sights

x
×

Emanuel Vidović Parkparks and gardens

The southwest cape of the Split harbour is called Sustipan after a Middle Aged monastery of St. Step ...

SustipanParks and gardens

Basic Info

The southwest cape of the Split harbour is called Sustipan after a Middle Aged monastery of St. Stephen under the pine trees, which served as the resting ground to the Croatian Kings. At the beginning of the 19th century Sustipan became Split's first cemetery, outside of the city at the time, only to be demolished, regardless of the emotional connection citizens of Split had for this location and an extraordinary artistic value of the local tombs, by the communist authorities after the opening of the new city's cemetery. The only thing preserved to this day of the entire cemetery is a Classicistic gloriette. Sustipan is turned into a beautiful park, a genuine little green oasis in the immediate vicinity of Marjan and the city, from its reefs that meet the sea a breathtaking view spreads directly towards the deep sea and the islands in front of Split.

Split | all sights

x
×

Sustipanparks and gardens

A hill southeast of the city harbour, separating the harbour from beach Bačvice. ...

Katalinić hillParks and gardens

Basic Info

A hill southeast of the city harbour, separating the harbour from beach Bačvice, was in the Middle Ages the location of the church of St Peter de Buctis, and later of the fort which defended the city from the sea attacks. It earned the name it carries today at the end of the 19th century, after the local estates belonging to the rich family from Split named Katalinić.
The most memorable trademark of this park today is the Memorial Lighthouse, together with the tomb to the unknown sailor who died in the Second World War dedicated to the memory of the sailors who died at war and in peace. The lighthouse was damaged during the aggression war on Croatia at the beginning of the nineties, and it was restored in 2014.
Like Sustipan, Katalinić also offers a beautiful view of the sea and the islands, but also of Bačvice and the city. It is a favourite meeting place for the young, especially those in love.

Split | all sights

x
×

Katalinić hillparks and gardens

Cathedral of Saint Domnius

Kraj sv. Duje 3

Cathedral of Saint Domnius is the Catholic cathedral in Split, Croatia. ...

Cathedral of Saint DomniusSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Kraj sv. Duje 3

Basic Info

Cathedral of Saint Domnius is the Catholic cathedral in Split, Croatia. The cathedral is the seat of the Archdiocese of Split-Makarska, headed by Archbishop Marin Barišić. The Cathedral of Saint Domnius is a complex of a church, formed from an Imperial Roman mausoleum, with a bell tower; strictly the church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the bell tower to Saint Duje. Together they form the Cathedral of Saint Domnius.
The Cathedral of Saint Domnius, consecrated at the turn of the 7th century AD, is regarded as the oldest Catholic cathedral in the world that remains in use in its original structure, without near-complete renovation at a later date. It is paradoxical that the structure itself that was built in AD 305 as the Mausoleum of Diocletian, tomb for a pagan ruler who fiercely persecuted Christians became a temple of Christianity.

Split | all sights

x
×

Cathedral of Saint Domniussacral objects

Temple of Jupiter

Ante Petravića 23

The only preserved small temple of Diocletian's Palace. ...

Temple of JupiterSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Ante Petravića 23

Basic Info

The only preserved small temple of Diocletian's Palace, one from three existing temples from the 4th century, which were located opposite the mausoleum, west of the Peristyle. Belongs to the type of rectangular temples with the whole and a porch with six columns that were not preserved. The underground crypt and the whole with a vaulted coffered vault are among the best preserved examples of this type in Roman architecture. In the early Middle Ages the temple was adapted for the needs of Christianity. The underground crypt was adapted for the church of St. Thomas, and the upper whole has turned into a baptistery of St. John, where in the 12th century was set baptismal font with the figure of a Croatian ruler, King Zvonimir. In baptistery are two sarcophagi, one of Split Archbishop of Ravenna and the other sarcophag of Ivana Lawrence. From works of art there is the bronze statue of Ivana Baptist, the work of Croatian sculptor Ivana Mestrovic from 1954.

Split | all sights

x
×

Temple of Jupitersacral objects

Numerous small churches strewn about the Marjan forest are evidence of Split's history. ...

Small churches in MarjanSacral objects

Basic Info

Numerous small churches strewn about the Marjan forest are evidence of Split's history. One of the nicest is surely the small church of St. Nicholas, situated above the First Marjan Panoramic views (vidilice), and followed by the church of Our Lady of Good Counsel in Kaštelet and a few historical churches on Kašjuni, such as the church of Our Mournful Lady. The church of St. Benedictine is situated in Bene, on Marjan whilst in 1096 the church of Our Lady of Špinut is mentioned, and is well known for the legend that every Saturday it is visited by angels. St. Stephen Church on Sustipan peninsula dates back to 1814. The Church of Madonna of Betlem was erected before the year 1500, in line with the strengthening of the hermits’ life on Marjan. It was simple, single-nave structure with barrel vault and broken gothic arch profile. St. Jerolim Church was built in the second half of the 15th century as gothic single-nave structure.

Split | all sights

x
×

Small churches in Marjansacral objects

The Church and the Monastery of St Francis is located on the Western part of the Riva ...

The Church and the Monastery of St FrancisSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Trg Franje Tuđmana 1

Basic Info

The Church and the Monastery of St Francis, located on the Western part of the Riva, were built on the old early Christian site, by the grave and a small Church of St Felix, martyr from the time of Diocletian. In the 13th century the Little brothers of St Francis inhabit the Church. From the Churche's artwork the most valuable is the Gothic Crucifix painting by Blaž Juraj of Trogir from the beginning of the 15th century, and the sarcophagus depicting the Crossing over the Red sea, part of the sacral artwork from the Roman times. Next to the Church is a Franciscan monastery with a 13th century cloister and an opulent library with over 3000 books, among which even some from 16th century. In the Church and the Monastery are tombs of prominent citizens of Split, like the father of Croatian literature Marko Marulić and one of the greatest Croatian politicians Ante Trumbić whose sarcophagus is the work of Ivan Meštrović.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Church and the Monastery of St Francissacral objects

Franciscan Church and Monastery of St. Ante at Poljud in Split is located on the north side of the S ...

Franciscan Church and Monastery of St. Ante at PoljudSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Poljudsko šetalište 2

Basic Info

Franciscan Church and Monastery of St. Ante at Poljud in Split is located on the north side of the Split peninsula. At the place of today's monastery the church of St. Mary of Poljud was erected around 1020 by the Archbishop of Split. From the second half of the 11th century, the church was ruled by the Benedictine monks from Monastery of St. Stephen of Sustipan. In the 15th century abbey, church and estates of Poljud received a learned scholar and ecumenist Cardinal Bessarion, who allowed the Franciscans to build a monastery as a part of run-down church and hospic. In the 16th century were also added two side chapels on the south side, and it was built the cloister, located north of the church. On the western side of the cloister was built a square tower as part of the defense complex that protected the church and monastery of the Turkish invasion. In the 17th century the Church was thoroughly renovated in Baroque style, and in the 18th century was built a bell tower.

Split | all sights

x
×

Franciscan Church and Monastery of St. Ante at Poljudsacral objects

Church and Convent of Our Lady of Health is the famous Marian shrine in Split. ...

Church and Convent of Our Lady of HealthSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Trg Franje Bulata 3

Basic Info

Church and Convent of Our Lady of Health is the famous Marian shrine in Split. The present church was built recently and dedicated in 1937 and it is located on the site of an earlier church from the 18th century. It is situated at the northern side of the G. Bulat Square, east of the National Theatre in Split. The Baroque Church of Our Lady of Health from the 18th century was demolished in the early 1930s, and at its place in 1937 was built a new church in modernist style, designed by architect Lavoslav Horvat from Zagreb.

Split | all sights

x
×

Church and Convent of Our Lady of Healthsacral objects

Church of Our Lady of Pojišan

Kapucinska poljana 1

Church of Our Lady of Pojišan is the famous Marian sanctuary and votive church in Split. ...

Church of Our Lady of PojišanSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Kapucinska poljana 1

Basic Info

Church of Our Lady of Pojišan is the famous Marian sanctuary and votive church in Split. It was first mentioned in the stone inscription from the 10th century. This church is situated on a hill overlooking the Bay on Pojišan area, east of the city center. On the main celebration of the Feast of the Assumption on August 15 the icon of Mary at the silver throne in the morning is brought to the cathedral and during the evening ceremony commoners and sailors, accompanied by the archbishop, canons, priests and tens of thousands of believers bring the icon on the shoulders on the streets of Split and return her to shrine to Pojišan.

Split | all sights

x
×

Church of Our Lady of Pojišansacral objects

The church of St. Martin in Split is a small church located along the north facade of the Dioclatian ...

The church of St. MartinSacral objects

Basic Info

The church of St. Martin in Split is a small church located along the north facade of the Dioclatian palace, at the point of guards space, above the Golden Gate (Porta Aurea). In that space the church is already incorporated in the 5th-6th century and is dedicated to Saint Martin, patron of soldiers and tailors and is associated with existence of the imperial workshop for making cloth and fabric that according to documents existed in that part of the Palace.

Split | all sights

x
×

The church of St. Martinsacral objects

Church of Sts. Spirit of Split is the medieval church located in the northwestern part of the histor ...

Church of Sts. Spirit of SplitSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Domaldova 9

Basic Info

Church of Sts. Spirit of Split is the medieval church located in the northwestern part of the historic city center. It belonged to a larger part of the building which are now visible. It has seen numerous architectural changes, especially in the Gothic period.

Split | all sights

x
×

Church of Sts. Spirit of Splitsacral objects

This small adorable church is situated in the Sutrojice part of Split, near the Poljud stadium and t ...

Church of Holy TrinitySacral objects

Basic Info

This small yet adorable church is situated in the Sutrojice part of Split, near the Poljud stadium and the Split shipyard. That early Medieval (early Croatian) architectural monument was built between the 8th and 11th century, as a six-foil type of building with semicircular arches lined around an irregular circle. The Church of the Holy Trinity has been added into the register of the most valuable Croatian Cultural Heritage, of the highest category. During restoration in 1948 remains of a building from an even earlier date have been found stretching towards the east, and several fragments of an altar partition have also been found whose arc represents an example of a pre Romanesque stone plastic art with geometric braided ornaments and carved text, exhibited today in the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split.

Split | all sights

x
×

Church of Holy Trinitysacral objects

The Churche of St Roche with its Renaissance fasade was created in 1516. ...

The Church of St RocheSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Peristyle

Basic Info

The Churche of St Roche with its Renaissance fasade was created in 1516 through the conversion of a Romanesque 13th century house, of wich the northern wall remains. Part of the colonnade of the portico of the Decumanus of Diocletian's Palace has been incorporated into the southern wall. Today it is Tourist Information Center.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Church of St Rochesacral objects

The church of st Philip Neri was built in 1735 according to a plan of the Venetian military architec ...

The Church of St Philip NeriSacral objects

Basic Info

The church of st Philip Neri was built in 1735 according to a plan of the Venetian military architect Francesco Melchiori of Vicenza, on the site of an older church from 1680 dedicated to the same patron. It is one of the few churches of the Baroque style in Split, and the only one to have preserved the original and integrally conceived Baroque interior, furnished with artworks from the same period.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Church of St Philip Nerisacral objects

The little church built in the 6th century in the sentries walkway above the Iron Gate of Diocletian ...

Church of Our Lady of the Bell TowerSacral objects

Basic Info

The little church built in the 6th century in the sentries walkway above the Iron Gate of Diocletian's Palace was originally dedicated to St Theodore. In the 11th century it acquired an Early Romanesque bell tower, the oldest still preserved on the Croatian side of the Adriatic. Also from this period come fragments of a chanel screen with an inscription mentioning the city prior, Firminus, and his first and second wives, Magi and Bita, the donors. The icon of Our Lady of the Bell Tower of the 13th century, from wich the church took its current name, is kept in the treasury of Split Cathedral. A Romanesque tower is built adjacent to the Iron Gate facing the Square (Pjaca), and in the 16 century a Renaissance municipal clock was installed in it.

Split | all sights

x
×

Church of Our Lady of the Bell Towersacral objects

The church holds Baroque altars with paintings, of wich those by Matija Ponzoni-Pončun and Sebastia ...

The Dominican ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Hrvojeva 2

Basic Info

The medieval convent complex with the church of St Catherine of Alexandria built on the site of an early Christian church dedicated to the same saint was demolished at the time the city was fortified during the Cretan War. After the war was over, from 1666 to 1682, church and convent were rebuilt in Baroque style. The present appearance, however, is the result of major alterations from 1932 – 1934. In 1944 the convent was partially destroyed during Allied bombing. The church holds Baroque altars with paintings, of wich those by Matija Ponzoni-Pončun and Sebastiano de Vita are particularly important.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Dominican Churchsacral objects

Synagogue in Split

Židovski prolaz 1

Synagogue in Split is one of Europe's oldest synagogue still active. ...

Synagogue in SplitSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Židovski prolaz 1

Basic Info

Synagogue in Split is one of Europe's oldest synagogue still active. It was created in the 16th century, in the former Jewish ghetto, after adaptation of the second floor of two connected medieval house. The present appearance of the interior was created around 1728. In the western wall of Diocletian's Palace is built holiest part of the temple - Aaron HaChodesh which faces Jerusalem and is which made in classic style of black and white marble.

Split | all sights

x
×

Synagogue in Splitsacral objects

The Gregory of Nin

north of the Palace and Old Town of Split, outside the Golden Gate

The statue of Gregory of Nin by Ivan Meštrović in Split is a heavily trafficked tourist site in th ...

The Gregory of NinStatues and monuments

Address | Location on Map

north of the Palace and Old Town of Split, outside the Golden Gate

Basic Info

The statue of Gregory of Nin by Ivan Meštrović in Split is a heavily trafficked tourist site in the town, which the toe of the statue shows.
Rubbing the statue's toe is said to bring good luck. The toe has been worn smooth and shiny as a result.
Gregory of Nin was a medieval Croatian bishop of Nin who strongly opposed the Pope and official circles of the Church and introduced the national language in the religious services after the Great Assembly in 926, according to traditional Croatian historiography. Until that time, services were held only in Latin, not being understandable to the majority of the population.
His statue was originally located in the Peristyle of Diocletian's Palace and can be seen in postcards of the pre-World War II period. During World War II, the statue was moved outside the city by Italian occupying forces. Currently, the statue sits to the north of the Palace and Old Town of Split, just outside the Golden Gate.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Gregory of Ninstatues and monuments

This sphinx is located on the site of the present cathedral at Peristyle. ...

The Sphinx at PeristyleStatues and monuments

Address | Location on Map

Peristyle

Basic Info

This sphinx is located on the site of the present cathedral at Peristyle. Probably this was not the only one, it probably came in larger number. In addition, the number of sphinx in Split and its surroundings at the time were more than ten, but some were lost or badly damaged, and this is the most representative example.
Sphinx of black granite is long almost two and a half meters, and it is about one meter high. It is an old sculpture, built probably during the reign of Thutmose I and Tuthmosis III. These members of the 18th dynasty ruled in the 16th and 15th century BC so we can conlude how old and worthy this monument is.

Split | all sights

x
×

The Sphinx at Peristylestatues and monuments

Monument to Marko Marulic that with a book in his hand is addressing to people is one of the most fa ...

Monument to Marko MarulićStatues and monuments

Address | Location on Map

Fruit Square

Basic Info

Monument to Marko Marulic that with a book in his hand is addressing to people is one of the most famous public monuments of our famous sculptor Ivan Mestrović. It was made and donated to the city in 1925. Set on the square in front of the Renaissance palaces Milesi, it showed everlasting literary value and glory of Marulić. Marko Marulić was a Croatian national poet and Christian humanist, known as the Crown of the Croatian Medieval Age and the father of the Croatian Renaissance. He signed his works as Marko Marulić Splićanin. Marulić was inspired by the Bible, Antique writers and Christian hagiographies. He wrote in three languages: Latin, Croatian and Vulgar Italian (three letters and two sonnets are preserved). In works written in Croatian, Marulić achieved a permanent status and position that has remained uncontested. His central Croatian work is the epic poem Judita.
On the pedestal of his monument are the verses of the great Croatian poet from XX. century, Tin Ujević.

Split | all sights

x
×

Monument to Marko Marulićstatues and monuments

The main façade of the Diocletian Palace - its northern wall, is preserved and accessible to the vi ...

PromenadeCity walls and forts

Basic Info

The main façade of the Diocletian Palace - its northern wall, is preserved and accessible to the visitors in the entire length of 170 meters. The Porta Aurea (Golden Gate) was the main entrance from the direction of Salona, with one massive square tower to the East and West.
The medieval walls with scalloped crowns were built, and they are well preserved exactly over the northern facade of the Palace, above the walls of the Diocletian Palace, over the crown of the Roman walls.The northeast tower was the integral part of the defense sentinel walls of the city. The access to this promenade is possible through the northwest, through the angular tower, which is the best preserved tower in Diocletian Palace. The central part of the promenade offers a special view to the defensive courtyard inside the Golden Gate – the heart of the life in Palace.

Split | all sights

x
×

Promenadecity walls and forts

To this date are preserved bastion Cornaro, and in a smaller extent bastion Contarini and Priuli. ...

Baroque wallsCity walls and forts

Basic Info

At the time of Turkish conquest and invasion on Dalmatia, in the early 16th century, medieval walls are no longer in function of defense of the city, because they consist only of the refurbished Diocletian palace walls and weak walls on the west side of town.
According to the draft of the Venetian engineer A. Maglia in 17th century begins the construction of modern walls with bastion system of five stone bastions filled with ground.
A similar system bastion was built on a hill Gripe, east of the city and on the east side of the city port. To this date are preserved bastion Cornaro, and in a smaller extent bastion Contarini and Priuli. The town walls, which were never completed and poorly maintained, gradually languished until the 20th century .

Split | all sights

x
×

Baroque wallscity walls and forts

Tower of the Venetian castle, built at the beginning of the 15th century is the only completely pres ...

Venetian towerCity walls and forts

Basic Info

Tower of the Venetian castle, built at the beginning of the 15th century is the only completely preserved tower and one of the earliest works from the period of Venetian rule. It was decided to build a castle in 1430 on the site of the Monastery of St. Clare immediately after Split had belonged to Venetian Republic. Even the octagonal tower of Diocletian's Palace was destroyed for the purpose of building. The assumed appearance of the castle included three octagonal towers. Central northern tower was the highest and it is today's Venetian tower.
During the short French rule, at the beginning of 19th century the southern part of the castle was destroyed. Top floor of the tower with the roof were destroyed, but the rest, together with internal staircases and arches are perfectly preserved. The tower is a significant urban accent, and is displayed in all views of the city.

Split | all sights

x
×

Venetian towercity walls and forts

The Marjan viewpoint is about 10 minutes walk up the steps from the western side of Split Harbour. ...

Marjan sightsViewpoints

Basic Info

The Marjan viewpoint is about 10 minutes walk up the steps from the western side of Split Harbour. At this viewpoint is a cafe with covered seating outside and a beautiful view over the city to the east, including the harbour, Diocletian's Palace from which the Bell Tower next to Split Cathedral rises prominently, and surrounding hills.

Split | all sights

x
×

Marjan sightsviewpoints

The Split Bell Tower stands 60m high next to Split Cathedral in the heart of the remains of Diocleti ...

Bell Tower of St DujeViewpoints

Basic Info

The Split Bell Tower, or campanile, stands 60m high next to Split Cathedral in the heart of the remains of Diocletian's Palace. While the cathedral, built as a mausoleum for Emperor Diocletian, dates from the early 4th century, the bell tower was built in 1100. Originally it was adorned with Romanesque statues, but most of these were removed during renovations in the early 20th century. Today, the bell tower is a popular tourist attraction in Split, with great views over the surrounding city, harbour and countryside from the top through eight portals. The climb up is on foot. On the way up visitors pass the bells that still chime regularly.

Split | all sights

x
×

Bell Tower of St Dujeviewpoints

Vestibule is recognizable for its circular interior and opening on the site of a dome. ...

VestibuleViewpoints

Basic Info

Vestibule is recognizable for its circular interior and opening on the site of a dome, through which we see the bell tower of the Cathedral of St. Duje. This dome once had a glittering mosaic of colors, semicircular niches filled the statues and the walls were blinding white. From August 2011 Vestibule has become even more attractive because it is open to the public. In fact, around the opening that can be seen from the ground, there is a nice space, which is also used as a beautiful viewpoint.

Split | all sights

x
×

Vestibuleviewpoints

To manually optimise and edit your route

  • Rearrange illustration
    Drag and drop list items to rearrange them
  • Remove attraction illustration
    Click x to remove attraction from route
  • Make route icon
    Click MAKE ROUTE button again to generate new route on the map

When satisfied with your route

  • Save route icon
    Click SAVE ROUTE button to save it, you have to be logged in to save route
  • Generate eBooklet icon
    Click GENERATE eBOOKLET to generate pdf that you can print or save locally on your computer

The city of Split is situated in the warmest region on the northern Mediterranean coasts, in the very center of the Adriatic eastern coast..

Split lies on the Adriatic coast, central Dalmatia, on the Split (Marjan) peninsula. Although surrounded by sea as a peninsula, Split also borders with surrounding mountains, Mosor on the northeast, Kozjak on the northwest, and Marjan hill as one of the most important symbols of the city, rising on the west side of the peninsula, in the immediate vicinity of the old city center. Split is also surrounded by the islands Brač, Hvar, Šolta and Čiovo.

Split is the largest city in Dalmatia, second largest city in Croatia. With its surroundings has about 500 000 inhabitants. It is second largest Croatian cargo harbour, but also one of the largest passenger harbours on the Mediterranean, and also the administrative center of the Split & Dalmatia County.

Its mild climate, with 2700 sunny hours per year, makes it an oasis where, sheltered from the wind, one can enjoy the sun even in wintertime. The industrial, university, and business center of the region. The historic core of Split with Diocletian palace is among the first urban complexes to enter the list of the UNESCO world heritage in the year 1979.

The first inhabitant of Split was the Roman emperor Diocletian who chose to build his palace in this friendly bay around 293 AD. After his abdication he withdrew to this luxurious palace of about 30 thousands square meters. In turbulent centuries that followed, the palace grew into a town, first populated by the citizens on the nearby Salona, fleeing before Avars and Slavs. Since then the town was ruled by various authorities – from Croatians kings in 10th century AD, Hungarian and Venetian administration, to French rulers and Austro-Hungarian monarchy. The big city today lives by the silent beats of history, lively spirit of the young and its particular Mediterranean charm, but above all maintains the spirit of Croatian warm hospitality.

Split

Loading...