The architectural ensemble consists of the mosque, medresa, šadrvan fountain, turbe (mausoleum) and ...

THE KOSKI MEHMED PASHA MOSQUESacral objects

Photo coming soon

Address | Location on Map

Mala Tepa 16

Opening Hours

Every day (except on Fridays) from 9am to 10pm.

Basic Info

The architectural ensemble consists of the mosque, medresa, šadrvan fountain, turbe (mausoleum) and the mosque harem with a number of nišan tombstones in the cobbled courtyard. The Koski Mehmed Pasha mosque is one of the finest monuments of the late 17th century built heritage in Bosnia and Herzegovina, belonging to the type of single-space domed mosque. The inscription recording the erection of the Koski Mehmed Pasha mosque is mounted over the main entrance to the mosque (1027 AH, 1618/19 CE). Sometime prior to 1612, Koski Mehmed Pasha, son of Mustafa, built a Naqshbandiyya haniqah (school) directly opposite the mosque, with 11 rooms in which tasawwuf (Sufism) was taught. It was demolished in 1951, but in 1979 most of it was reconstructed. The šadrvan fountain outside the mosque was erected in 1781.

More Info

    Mostar | all sights

    x
    ×

    THE KOSKI MEHMED PASHA MOSQUE

    The history of the Žitomislić monastery is associated with the Hrabren-Miloradović family. There ...

    ŽITOMISLIĆI MONASTERYMostar

    Photo coming soon

    Basic Info

    The history of the Žitomislić monastery is associated with the Hrabren-Miloradović family. There was formerly a smaller church on the site of the church of the Annunciation in Žitomislić. A permit for its renovation was issued in 1566. According to the inscription incised on the capital of a pillar, signed by mason Vukašin “of the Orahovica monastery,” the renovation of the monastery church was completed in 1602/1603. The church was triple-naved with a pointed vault. An exceptional feature is the pillars with capitals decorated with hunting scenes in relief, a motif akin to the decorations on stećak tombstones. The only part of the murals in Žitomislić that had survived up to 1992 was the scene of the Annunciation, with an inscription recording the year it was painted, 1609.

    More Info

      Mostar | all sights

      x
      ×

      ŽITOMISLIĆI MONASTERY

      METROPOLITAN’S PALACE

      Bjelušine b.b.

      The architectural ensemble consists of the metropolitan’s palace, a courtyard, and a building cont ...

      METROPOLITAN’S PALACEMostar

      Photo coming soon

      Address | Location on Map

      Bjelušine b.b.

      Basic Info

      The architectural ensemble consists of the metropolitan’s palace, a courtyard, and a building containing the priest’s living quarters. The metropolitan’s palace was completed in 1910 to a design by architect Karlo Pařik, one of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s most important architects of the late 19th and early 20th century. The entrance stairway on the outside, the balustrade and the entire entrance facade of the building are elaborately decorated in plasterwork. Inside the building the fragmentary remains of the Secession-style murals can still be seen in the entrance hall and reception hall. The murals reflect the Secession manner of „Pompeian” art.

      More Info

        Mostar | all sights

        x
        ×

        METROPOLITAN’S PALACE

        THE NEZIR-AGA MOSQUE

        Jusovina street

        The oldest mosque on the right bank of the Neretva was built in 1550 and was named the Nezir-aga mos ...

        THE NEZIR-AGA MOSQUESacral objects

        Photo coming soon

        Address | Location on Map

        Jusovina street

        Basic Info

        The oldest mosque on the right bank of the Neretva was built in 1550 and was named the Nezir-aga mosque after its founder. There was a substantial vakuf (pious endowment) along with the mosque, so that the quarter where it stands was long known as the Nezir-aga mahala. In 1931 the vakuf consisted of the mosque, a mekteb (Islamic primary school), four shops, a house, a building site and two harems (burial grounds). The mosque was closed in 1932, and the entire architectural ensemble of the mosque, the mekteb and the harem with its bašluk tombstones bearing epitaphs of considerable value was demolished in 1950/1951. When the mosque and mekteb were excavated in 1998, a number of old, broken bašluk tombstones were found, and set up in the mezarluk (burial ground). In 1999 the mosque and mekteb were reconstructed in their original form, using the same types of building materials.

        More Info

          Mostar | all sights

          x
          ×

          THE NEZIR-AGA MOSQUEsacral objects

          In 1767 Mostar became the seat of an Orthodox metropolitan. Work began on building a new church in 1 ...

          Remains of the historic Orthodox cathedral church (the Church of the Holy Trinity)Sacral objects

          Photo coming soon

          Basic Info

          In 1767 Mostar became the seat of an Orthodox metropolitan. Work began on building a new church in 1863, supervised by architect Spasoje Vulić. After 1868, Andrija Damjanov took over the building works. He and his brothers and descendants built more than forty major churches in the 19th century, in Macedonia, Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina (Čajniče, Sarajevo and Mostar). They designed the churches themselves, and carried out the building works and even the frescoes and wood-carvings. The building works on the church were completed in 1873. The cathedral church in Mostar is cruciform in plan, and was built of stone. The neoclassical wooden iconostasis was probably the work of Andrija Damjanov. Five valuable icons, the oldest of which dated from the 15th century, disappeared during the recent war. The cathedral church was dynamited and totally destroyed in 1992.

          More Info

            Mostar | all sights

            x
            ×

            Remains of the historic Orthodox cathedral church (the Church of the Holy Trinity)sacral objects

            The site of the present-day old Orthodox church in Mostar was formerly occupied by an Orthodox semin ...

            Architectural ensemble of the old Orthodox church (church of the Nativity of the Virgin) in MostarThe natural and architectural ensemble

            Photo coming soon

            Address | Location on Map

            Bjelušine b.b.

            Basic Info

            The site of the present-day old Orthodox church in Mostar was formerly occupied by an Orthodox seminary, which could have been in existence as long ago as the 17th century, since the cemetery surrounding the church contains the tombstones of priests dating from the late 17th century. The church was renovated in 1832. The firman (imperial consent) for the renovation of the church was received as a reward to the Serbs of Mostar for serving in the Sultan's army against the insurgents fighting for Bosnian independence, led by Captain Gradaščević. The old church is an edifice of simple rectangular ground plan, with an interior semicircular apse and a bell tower «na preslicu» over the entrance. Until the war the church contained a wooden iconostasis and most of the original wooden furnishings. It also had 16 very valuable icons, which were housed in the episcopal palace in Mostar.

            Mostar | all sights

            x
            ×

            Architectural ensemble of the old Orthodox church (church of the Nativity of the Virgin) in Mostarthe natural and architectural ensemble

            The mosque was built by Nesuh-aga Vučijaković. The tarih (chronogram) gives the year it was built ...

            Architectural ensemble – the Nesuh-aga Vučijaković mosque (the mosque under the lime)The natural and architectural ensemble

            Photo coming soon

            Address | Location on Map

            Maršala Tita b.b.

            Basic Info

            The mosque was built by Nesuh-aga Vučijaković. The tarih (chronogram) gives the year it was built as 1528/1529, but the vakufnama (deed of pious endowment) records it as 1564. Nesuh-aga Vučijaković was a native of Ljubuški. As well as building mosques in Mostar and Ljubuški, he endowed a mekteb (Islamic primary school) in each town, and stipulated that the revenues from his vakuf were to be used to repair the bridges on the Radobolja and Trebižat. In 1889 the vakuf owned five shops and a burial ground opposite the mosque. The Nesuh-aga Vučijaković mosque is one of three domed mosques in Mostar, and belongs to the early Istanbul style of Ottoman architecture. The mosque was closed in 1941. In the late 20th century it was used as the town warehouse, after which it was abandoned completely. During the 1992-1995 war it was badly damaged, and the harem was turned into a shahids' burial ground. The turbe (mausoleum) of Mehmed-aga Kreho was moved into the harem from the courtyard of the Kjo

            More Info

              Mostar | all sights

              x
              ×

              Architectural ensemble – the Nesuh-aga Vučijaković mosque (the mosque under the lime)the natural and architectural ensemble

              In antiquity there was a settlement on the site known as Crkvina, where a basilica was built in late ...

              Archaeological site Late antique basilica in CimArchaeological sites

              Photo coming soon

              Basic Info

              In antiquity there was a settlement on the site known as Crkvina, where a basilica was built in late antiquity, as confirmed by archaeological excavations in 1966. The basilica was a single-naved building with three apses. Below the altar mensa in the central apse, a sepulchrum reliquiarum (tomb for reliquaries) was found, with three reliquaries. This is the only instance in Bosnia and Herzegovina of the discovery in a late antique basilica of reliquaries in situ. Thirty-six disturbed and damaged mediaeval graves were found in the ruins of the basilica. The archaeological artifacts found include jewellery, articles made of iron, coins, shards of various types of pottery, and fragments of carved stone with various ornamentation. There were another two late antique buildings beside the basilica: a memorial chapel with tombs and a residential building. They date from the 4th to the 6th century, at a time when this region was on the border between the coastal part of the province of Da

              More Info

                Mostar | all sights

                x
                ×

                Archaeological site Late antique basilica in Cimarchaeological sites

                The old Orthodox cemetery in Bjelušine has been dated by analogy to the 16th century. The archaic f ...

                Cemetery complex of Bjelušine in MostarCemetery Complex

                Photo coming soon

                Basic Info

                The old Orthodox cemetery has been dated by analogy to the 16th century. The archaic form of the tombstones without epitaphs is strikingly reminiscent of cruciform stećak tombstones. The oldest surviving tombstone in this cemetery, dating from 1683, is reminiscent in the content and character of the epitaph with examples of cruciform stećak tombstones in Herzegovina. Of the 850 tombstones with epitaphs, eight date from the 17th century. 154 tombstones have been identified as dating from the 18th century. The majority of tombstones dating from the 17th and 18th century are cruciform, with a few in the shape of steles, and a a very few in the form of an obelisk or pillar. The older tombstones carved into the form of a cross are of very simple workmanship. The tombstones of later date are more accurately cut and particular attention has been paid to the decoration. The 19th century tombstones are significantly larger, and the decoration on them is richer in motifs and met.

                More Info

                  Mostar | all sights

                  x
                  ×

                  Cemetery complex of Bjelušine in Mostarcemetery complex

                  In the second half of the 16th century, Ćejvan-Ćehaja (Governor of Herzegovina) built 67 shops on ...

                  KUJUNDŽILUK WITH THE ĆEJVAN-ĆEHAJA MOSQUESacral objects

                  Photo coming soon

                  Basic Info

                  In the second half of the 16th century, Ćejvan-Ćehaja (Governor of Herzegovina) built 67 shops on the left bank of the Neretva, laying the foundations for the Upper čarsija and Kujundžiluk. Kujundžiluk was the centre of the goldsmiths’ craft, and consisted of a row of shops with a storehouse. In the 1950s it also became a cultural centre where artists lived and worked. In 1552, Ćejvan-Ćehaja built a mosque. A mekteb (known locally as the šećer-mejtef) or Islamic primary school, and a medresa (Islamic high school) were built alongside the mosque. In the second half of the 20th century the complex house the Museum of Herzegovina. Ćejvan-Ćehaja was one of Herzegovina’s major vakifs (creators of Islamic pious endowments), who also endowed properties in Gabela, Blagaj, Čitluk and Rečice, and left money and numerous mills, shops, bakeries and other properties, together with land, to provide for their maintenance. The revenues from his vakuf (pious endowment) also maintained streets in Mo

                  Mostar | all sights

                  x
                  ×

                  KUJUNDŽILUK WITH THE ĆEJVAN-ĆEHAJA MOSQUEsacral objects

                  One in three residents of Mostar (6000 in all) took part in the war of national liberation, and more ...

                  Architectural ensemble of the Partisans’ Memorial CemeteryCemetery Complex

                  Photo coming soon

                  Address | Location on Map

                  Kralja Petra Krešimira IV b.b.

                  Basic Info

                  The memorial complex in Bijeli Brijeg consists of an entrance area, an informally laid-out central area with streams and paths, a circular fountain with still water, and a raised central area with terraces and access ramp. The amorphous, organic shapes of the walls run through the entire site of the memorial, intermingled with greenery and water. The central feature on the seventh and highest terrace is a fountain, from which there is a view of the entire complex and the surrounding town. The architect described the monument as „Mostar in little, a replica of the city on the Neretva.“ The Partisans' memorial cemetery is also a monument to the townscape.

                  More Info

                    Mostar | all sights

                    x
                    ×

                    Architectural ensemble of the Partisans’ Memorial Cemeterycemetery complex

                    The Priječka čaršija came into being in the 16th century as the vakuf (pious endowment) of three ...

                    THE PRIJEČKA ČARŠIJA WITH THE TABAČICA MOSQUESacral objects

                    Photo coming soon

                    Address | Location on Map

                    Oneščukova b.b.

                    Opening Hours

                    Every day (except on Mondays) from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

                    Basic Info

                    The Priječka čaršija came into being in the 16th century as the vakuf (pious endowment) of three Mostar vakifs (benefactors), with about 60 shops. Until after 1878 this part of the čaršija was of only secondary importance, since the main part of the čaršija was on the left bank of the Neretva, as suggested by the name prijeko ("across the way"). The Priječka čaršija linked the complex of the Old Bridge with the Tabhana tannery complex. The old Mostar Tabhana was built in the mid 16th century, at the place where the river Radobolja flows into the Neretva. The tanners moved to the present-day tannery, the Upper or Large Tabhana, before 1664; prior to that, it had been the site of the Janissary odžak (headquarters). Because of the smell of the leather, the tanners' guild was the only one that had its own mosque.

                    Mostar | all sights

                    x
                    ×

                    THE PRIJEČKA ČARŠIJA WITH THE TABAČICA MOSQUEsacral objects

                    ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE OLD BRIDGE AND TOWERS IN MOSTAR

                    Stari grad.b.b.; tel. +387 (0)36 551 004.

                    The old bridge was built in 1556, on the orders of and with funds provided by Sultan Suleyman the Ma ...

                    ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE OLD BRIDGE AND TOWERS IN MOSTARThe natural and architectural ensemble

                    Photo coming soon

                    Address | Location on Map

                    Stari grad.b.b.; tel. +387 (0)36 551 004.

                    Opening Hours

                    Only the Tara Tower is open to the public. Every day (except on Mondays) from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.

                    Basic Info

                    The old bridge was built in 1556, on the orders of and with funds provided by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent, at the request of the inhabitants of Mostar, to replace the mediaeval chain timber bridge. The builder of the bridge was mimar Hayruddin. The Halebija and Tara towers and fortifications were built by the nobleman Radin in the 1440s. Both towers later underwent a series of alterations. During the reign of Sultan Yavuz Selim I (1512-1520) a mosque was built right beside the old bridge. This mosque had no minaret; the azaan was called from a stone mounted at the top of the old bridge, by the south parapet. The bridge thus also served as a minaret.

                    More Info

                      Mostar | all sights

                      x
                      ×

                      ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE OLD BRIDGE AND TOWERS IN MOSTARthe natural and architectural ensemble

                      ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE BIŠČEVIĆ-LAKŠIĆ RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX

                      Bišćevića ulica b.b.; tel. +387 (0)36 550 677

                      The residential complex was built in the late 18th and early 19th century. Originally the entire com ...

                      ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE BIŠČEVIĆ-LAKŠIĆ RESIDENTIAL COMPLEXThe natural and architectural ensemble

                      Photo coming soon

                      Address | Location on Map

                      Bišćevića ulica b.b.; tel. +387 (0)36 550 677

                      Opening Hours

                      Every day from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.

                      Basic Info

                      The residential complex was built in the late 18th and early 19th century. Originally the entire complex belonged to the Bišćević family, the most famous member of which was captain Halebija Bišćević, after whom the tower at the right-hand end of the Old Bridge acquired the name Halebinovka (late 17th century). In the second half of the 19th century the complex was divided into three separate units. The central part of the plot, the Bišćević house, still belongs to the Bišćević family, and has been made into a private Museum of an Ottoman House. The southern part of the plot, which belongs to the Lakšić family, is still used as a residence. The dizdars (commanders) of the Mostar fortress were from the Lakišić family, a hereditary post.

                      Mostar | all sights

                      x
                      ×

                      ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE BIŠČEVIĆ-LAKŠIĆ RESIDENTIAL COMPLEXthe natural and architectural ensemble

                      The Muslibegović family's residential complex dates from the second half of the 18th century. The p ...

                      RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE MUSLIBEGOVIĆ FAMILYThe natural and architectural ensemble

                      Photo coming soon

                      Address | Location on Map

                      Osmana Đikića 41

                      Opening Hours

                      Everyday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm

                      Basic Info

                      The Muslibegović family's residential complex dates from the second half of the 18th century. The property is open on three sides and has one main facade. It consists of a basement, ground floor, first floor and attic space. The basement is below ground, and all the remaining floors are used as living quarters. The house belongs to the type of building with a central hallway. It is characterized by its strict symmetry. The central hallway has rooms running along both sides. A recess at one end, between the rooms, houses a wooden staircase. On the upper floors, the hallway extends at the other end into a jazluk – an area where the family would gather.

                      More Info

                        Mostar | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURAL ENSEMBLE OF THE MUSLIBEGOVIĆ FAMILYthe natural and architectural ensemble

                        THE MILL IN CERNICAMuseums and galleries

                        Photo coming soon

                        Mostar | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        THE MILL IN CERNICAmuseums and galleries

                        ZOVKO MILL IN ZAHUMLJEMuseums and galleries

                        Photo coming soon

                        Mostar | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        ZOVKO MILL IN ZAHUMLJEmuseums and galleries

                        CLOCK TOWER Historic buildingPublic buildings

                        Photo coming soon

                        Mostar | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        CLOCK TOWER Historic buildingpublic buildings

                        MOSTAR – SYNAGOGUESacral objects

                        Photo coming soon

                        Mostar | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        MOSTAR – SYNAGOGUEsacral objects

                        The mosque was built by Ibrahim-efendi, roznamedžija of Sultan Murat IV, a native of Nevesinje and ...

                        THE ROZNAMEDŽI IBRAHIM-EFENDI MOSQUESacral objects

                        Photo coming soon

                        Address | Location on Map

                        Kresina street

                        Basic Info

                        The mosque was built by Ibrahim-efendi, roznamedžija of Sultan Murat IV, a native of Nevesinje and a person of considerable eminence at court. He built a medresa (Islamic high school) opposite the mosque, and extended the piped water supply in Mostar. Both buildings date from before 1620. The mosque has a hipped roof with a substructure consisting of a octagonal ribbed dome. It was closed in 1924. During World War II, the Italians inflicted serious damage on it and destroyed the mimber (pulpit). The medresa was reputed to be the largest and finest in Mostar, and was one of the larger L-shaped medresas in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was solidly built of quarry stone, and consisted of nine small rooms for pupils and two dershanas (classrooms). A portico with wooden pillars led into all the rooms. The courtyard contained a šadrvan fountain. The medresa was demolished in 1940.

                        More Info

                          Mostar | all sights

                          x
                          ×

                          THE ROZNAMEDŽI IBRAHIM-EFENDI MOSQUEsacral objects

                          MOSTAR – THE SEVRI HAJJI HASAN MOSQUE

                          Gojaka Vukovića street

                          The mosque, which is also known as the mosque in the mahala, was built by hajji Hasan Sevrija, son o ...

                          MOSTAR – THE SEVRI HAJJI HASAN MOSQUESacral objects

                          Photo coming soon

                          Address | Location on Map

                          Gojaka Vukovića street

                          Basic Info

                          The mosque, which is also known as the mosque in the mahala, was built by hajji Hasan Sevrija, son of hajji Veliya, before 1620. The vakufnama (deed of pious endowment) of the mosque was written in the first decade of the month of Jumada-l-Ula 1030 (24 March to 2 April 1620). The vakuf of this mosque consisted of the benefactor's house, three vineyards, an orchard, seven harems (burial grounds) in the Lower Mahala, eight meadows and a house in Raštani with a garden and nine tilled fields. A distinctive feature of this vakuf is that it also included two large copper cauldrons. The mosque is a single-space structure with a hipped, tile-clad roof below which is a wooden dome. The walls of the mosque bear calligraphic verses from the Qur'an. There were no major interventions to the mosque for three and a half centuries, so that it retained its original appearance and size. In 1960 the minaret was damaged by lightning, and was repaired in 1962.

                          More Info

                            Mostar | all sights

                            x
                            ×

                            MOSTAR – THE SEVRI HAJJI HASAN MOSQUEsacral objects

                            There is reference to Jews in Mostar in 1570. These were Sephardi Jews, expelled from Spain under th ...

                            MOSTAR – JEWISH CEMETERYCemetery Complex

                            Photo coming soon

                            Basic Info

                            There is reference to Jews in Mostar in 1570. These were Sephardi Jews, expelled from Spain under the terms of the 1492 Granada Edict, who found refuge in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In the 19th century Ashkenazi Jews, too, settled here. The site of the first Jewish cemetery is Mostar is unknown. The oldest tombstone found in this cemetery dates from 1892. Jews regard their cemeteries as holy places and call them beit olam, the house of eternity, or beit chayyim, the house of the living. The graves are always placed with the head of the deceased facing east – towards Jerusalem and Mount Sion. The majority of the tombstones in the Jewish cemetery in Mostar are of the so-called couchant type, deriving from ancient Palestine. A shape specific to this part of the world is the chest-shaped tombstone, resembling a mediaeval stećak tombstone or a simplified antique-era sarcophagus.

                            More Info

                              Mostar | all sights

                              x
                              ×

                              MOSTAR – JEWISH CEMETERYcemetery complex

                              The cemetery in Pašinovac was probably established during the 16th and 17th century. It was in use ...

                              THE OLD ORTHODOX BURIAL GROUND IN PAŠINOVAC IN MOSTARCemetery Complex

                              Photo coming soon

                              Basic Info

                              The cemetery in Pašinovac was probably established during the 16th and 17th century. It was in use at the same time as the Bjelušine cemetery. A total of 18 tombstones with epitaphs dating from the 17th century, 290 with epitaphs dating from the 18th century, and 376 from the 19th century have been recorded. The oldest surviving dated tombstone dates from 1687 and belongs to one Milutin. The oldest part of the cemetery is at the top of the necropolis, about 100 metres from its north-western boundary. As a rule, the 17th and 18th century tombstones are cruciform. The oldest tombstones are characterized by extremely simple treatment and usually lack any kind of decorative elements.

                              More Info

                                Mostar | all sights

                                x
                                ×

                                THE OLD ORTHODOX BURIAL GROUND IN PAŠINOVAC IN MOSTARcemetery complex

                                To manually optimise and edit your route

                                • Rearrange illustration
                                  Drag and drop list items to rearrange them
                                • Remove attraction illustration
                                  Click x to remove attraction from route
                                • Make route icon
                                  Click MAKE ROUTE button again to generate new route on the map

                                When satisfied with your route

                                • Save route icon
                                  Click SAVE ROUTE button to save it, you have to be logged in to save route
                                • Generate eBooklet icon
                                  Click GENERATE eBOOKLET to generate pdf that you can print or save locally on your computer

                                Mostar

                                Loading...