St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral, Kotor

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

The St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral was consecrated on June 19, 1166 at a site of the previous ch ...

St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral, KotorSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—14:00 winter
9:00—20:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance

Basic Info

The St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral was consecrated on June 19, 1166 at a site of the previous church from the 9th century. The Basilica was constructed in Romanesque style with the elements of Byzantine architecture. It changed it appearance mostly because of the catastrophic earthquakes (1537, 1563, 1667 & 1969). Latter reconstructions added some elements of Baroque architecture to the Basilica. The most important pieces of its interior decoration are: ciborium (14th century), Pala d’oro (golden altarpiece, 15th century), remains of the fresco decoration (1331) and many more. The Basilica has rich Reliquary and it house the Museum of Sacral Art of the Kotor Bishopric.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral, Kotorsacral objects

St Lucas’s Church, Kotor

Pjaca Sv. Luke, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

St Lucas’s church is second oldest church in Kotor. Church was built by Mauro Cazafrangi in 1195. ...

St Lucas’s Church, KotorSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Luke, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—13:00 winter
9:00—13:00 & 17:00—20:00 summer
Free admission

Basic Info

St Lucas’s church is second oldest church in Kotor. Church was built by Mauro Cazafrangi in 1195. Like St Tryphone’s Basilica-Cathedral it is mixture of the Romanesque and Byzantine architecture. A fragment of fresco decoration from the 12th century is preserved in the interior of the church. Church was originally Roman Catholic, but since 1657 Orthodox Christians where allowed to use church for Orthodox rite. Until the beginning of 19th century church contained both Catholic and Orthodox altar. Now it is only Orthodox church. Iconostasis of the St Lucas church and adjoin chapel of St Spiridon are works of Italo-Cretan and Rafailovići icon painting schools.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Lucas’s Church, Kotorsacral objects

Church of St Mary Collegiate

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Saint Mary’s Collegiate Church was built at the beginning of the third decade of the 13th century ...

Church of St Mary CollegiateSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

During the winter on request
9:00—17:00 summer
Free admission

Basic Info

Saint Mary’s Collegiate Church was built at the beginning of the third decade of the 13th century as a single-nave church with a dome. Like other medieval churches in Kotor it is mixture of the Romanesque and Byzantine architecture. In the floor of the belfry the oldest baptismal font in Kotor from 6th century was found. Remains of Byzantine style fresco decoration from the 14th century are visible in the apse and in the nave of the church. Relics of the Blessed Osanna are kept into the church. Along with St Tryphone she is venerated as the protector of Kotor. Therefore the church is also called “St Osana’s Church”.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Church of St Mary Collegiatesacral objects

St Michael’s Church

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Old church of St Michael was constructed probably in the 9th century. The remains of the walls and f ...

St Michael’s ChurchMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

During the winter on request
9:00—14:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance

Basic Info

Old church of St Michael was constructed probably in the 9th century. The remains of the walls and fresco decoration of the old church are visible now after the 1979 restauration of the church. On the site of the older church present one was constructed in the second half of the 14th century. It was fresco decorated by the Kotor Gothic painter Lovro Marinov Dobričević in 15th century. St Michael’s Church is not in religious use from the period of French occupation during the first half of 19th century. Today it is Lapidarium of the town Kotor, where on exhibition are archaeological findings from Bronze Age to time of Baroque.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Michael’s Churchmuseums and galleries

Franciscan Monastery of Santa Clara

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

The first Franciscan monastery in Kotor was founded by Serbian queen Helen de Courtenay (wife of kin ...

Franciscan Monastery of Santa ClaraSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—17:00
Free admission

Basic Info

The first Franciscan monastery in Kotor was founded by Serbian queen Helen de Courtenay (wife of king Uroš I) in 1288. The present monastery dates from 16th century. The main altar is a work of Venetian Baroque sculptor Francesco Penso Cabianca from 1708. Monastery has rich library with more than 20000 books and other documents. Oldest among them are Beneventan script fragments from 9th century and fragments of Bible in Caroline script from 12th century. Also, two incunabulas printed in Venice by Andrija Paltašić (1440—1520) from Kotor are among the most precious books of the library.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Franciscan Monastery of Santa Clarasacral objects

St Paule’s Church

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

St Paule’s church is was consecrated in 1263. Church was erected by Paul Bari and his wife Dobra. ...

St Paule’s ChurchMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—14:00
Free admission

Basic Info

St Paule’s church is was consecrated in 1263. Church was erected by Paul Bari and his wife Dobra. The church was the part of Dominican Monastery. In this Monastery one of the nuns was Blessed Osanna. Church was enlarged in 16th century, in such manner that original church façade served as an entrance to the new church. During the French occupation (1807—1814) the church was turned into a military magazine. During the II World War was used as a prison. It has been recently restored and now it serves as a congress hall and exhibition space. During the restoration work many original elements of the church has been discovered and restored.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Paule’s Churchmuseums and galleries

St Nicholas’s Church

Pjaca Sv. Luke, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

The St Nicholas’s church was built on the site where Dominican Monastery of St Nicholas’s stood ...

St Nicholas’s ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Luke, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—13:00 & 17:00—20:00
Free admission

Basic Info

The St Nicholas’s church was built on the site where Dominican Monastery of St Nicholas’s stood until it was destructed by fire in 1896. The new Orthodox church of St Nicholas was constructed from 1902 to 1909. The architect Ćiril Iveković designed new church it in the Pseudo-Byzantine style with the massive cupola over the intersection of the main nave and transept. The iconostasis of the curch is work of Czech painter Francisek Cigler. His work is also the mosaic of St Nicholas at the tympanum of the main portal of the church. Treasury of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Kotor is located immediately next to the church. It exhibits icons, documents, handwritten and printed book and liturgical stuff.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Nicholas’s Churchsacral objects

Town Ramparts

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Kotor town ramparts completely surround the old town centre. They are approximately 4.5 km long. The ...

Town RampartsCity walls and forts

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—19:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance

Basic Info

Kotor town ramparts completely surround the old town centre. They are approximately 4.5 km long. They rise from the sea and clime to the fortress of San Giovanni (St John), 250 m above the sea level. The thickness of the walls range from 2m to 16m. It is certain that the oldest surviving part of the ramparts are from Byzantine times. Most of the town ramparts dates back mostly to the 17th and 18th century, from the time of Venetian government of Kotor. Town ramparts played decisive role in the defence of the town, since many wanted to conquer it. One of the most dramatic siege was in 1539, when Turkish admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa with 70 ships and 30000 soldiers unsuccessfully tried to conquer Kotor.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Town Rampartscity walls and forts

Maritime Museum of Montenegro

Pjaca od muzeja, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Maritime Museum of Montenegro is placed in the Gregorina Palace, a typical 18th century Venetian typ ...

Maritime Museum of MontenegroMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca od muzeja, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—16:00 winter
9:00—20:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance

Basic Info

Maritime Museum of Montenegro is placed in the Gregorina Palace, a typical 18th century Venetian type Baroque palace. Since bishop Marco Antonio Gregorina gave the place to the town of Kotor it hosted several town institutions, until the end of World War II when it became the seat of Maritime Museum of Montenegro. Museum has several collections exhibited in entrance all and 1st and 2nd floor of the building. Among them are the collection of the trophy weapons, collection of naval objects, collection of old marine pictures and special room dedicated to the Bokelian Navy. Maritime Museum of Montenegro also organise thematic historic exhibitions and contemporary art exhibitions.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Maritime Museum of Montenegromuseums and galleries

Pima Palace—Gallery of Solidarity

Trg od Brašna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Pima Palace was built after the 1667 earthquake. The architecture of the palace is Baroque with some ...

Pima Palace—Gallery of SolidarityMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Trg od Brašna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—14:00
Free Admission

Basic Info

Pima Palace was built after the 1667 earthquake. The architecture of the palace is Baroque with some Renaissance elements. Once it belonged to the noble family of Pima, which gave many prominent persons. Among them was Bernard Pima (†1517) famous poet from the period of Humanism. One part of the Palace house Gallery of Solidarity formed after the 1979 earthquake. Main collection of the gallery artworks consists of visual artist (from ex-Yugoslavia) donations to Kotor. In the Gallery of Solidarity also contemporary artist exhibitions and other cultural events are organized.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Pima Palace—Gallery of Solidaritymuseums and galleries

Kotor Historical Archives

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Kotor Historical Archives (KHA) in its archival collections stores precious documents which testifie ...

Kotor Historical ArchivesMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—14:00
Free Admission

Basic Info

Kotor Historical Archives (KHA) in its archival collections stores precious documents which testifies history of the Kotor. Since Kotor was prominent port during the history the numerous data on Montenegro, Dalmatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Italy and other areas can be found in the collections of Kotor Historical Archives. The oldest document stored in KHA is from 1309. The most precious collection group of the HAK are legal-notary volumes (1326—1942). Printed book of the Statute of Kotor from 1616 is also one of the most important documents of KHA. Most of the archival documents of KHA where written in Medieval Latin and Italian.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Kotor Historical Archivesmuseums and galleries

Monastery of St Francis at Šuranj

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Monastery of St Francis at Šuranj, outside of the town ramparts was built by Serbian queen Helen de ...

Monastery of St Francis at ŠuranjArchaeological sites

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Tripuna, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

Free Admission

Basic Info

Monastery of St Francis at Šuranj, outside of the town ramparts was built by Serbian queen Helen de Courtenay (wife of king Uroš I) in 1288. The Monastery was demolished by Venetians in 1656 to prevent Turks to use it as a fortification in the siege. Turks planned to use the Monastery as a canon post. Before its destruction monastery was one of the most important churches in Kotor. Its importance is testified by the grave stones of the Kotor noble families and confraternities which still can be seen on the site of the Monastery. Beside inscriptions, many of this gravestones are decorated with the coat of arms of a family or confraternity.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Monastery of St Francis at Šuranjarchaeological sites

St Anne’s Church

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

St Anne’s Church was probably constructed at the end of the 12th or at the beginning of the 13th c ...

St Anne’s ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment
Free admission

Basic Info

St Anne’s Church was probably constructed at the end of the 12th or at the beginning of the 13th century in Romanesque style. The original church was one nave church with the dome. Latter, aisle along the northern side of the church was added. Fragments of the external fresco decoration are still visible on the western façade of the church. In the interior, the remains of the frescos of Kotor Gothic painter Lovro Marinov Dobričević from the 15th century have been preserved. Among them the most prominent is the fresco of St Martin.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Anne’s Churchsacral objects

Palaces

Pima Palace, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Kotor, as many city republics, was ran by the noble families through Middle Ages and afterward. Many ...

PalacesPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Pima Palace, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

Kotor, as many city republics, was ran by the noble families through Middle Ages and afterward. Many of them constructed palaces, as the symbol of their power and influence. In Kotor some of them are preserved. The oldest ones are Bućа, Drago and Beskuća palaces, with the still preserved elements of the Gothic architecture. Others like: Pima, Bizanti, Gregorina, Grubonja, Vrakjen and others are mostly Baroque buildings constructed after the earthquake of 1667. There are no more descendants of the nobility in Kotor, so these palaces are now public building housing cultural or administrative institutions of Kotor.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Palacespublic buildings

Karampana

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Karampana was the only public well-faucet in Kotor. Its present day appearance dates back to the end ...

KarampanaPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

Karampana was the only public well-faucet in Kotor. Its present day appearance dates back to the end of the 17th or the beginning of the 18th century. Until 1917 Karamnana had been the place where mostly women of Kotor would come for water. That was not the only reason to come to Karampana. All the latest news and gossips from the town where told around Karampana, giving the second reason way to come to it. Because of that, Koror’s satirical magazine, which is published once a year before Carnival of Kotor, bare the name of Karampana.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Karampanapublic buildings

The Town Clock Tower

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

The Town Clock Tower is one of the most prominent symbols of Kotor. It occupies the central site on ...

The Town Clock TowerPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

The Town Clock Tower is one of the most prominent symbols of Kotor. It occupies the central site on the Square of Arms. First sight after entering the city through Town Gate is the site of the Town Clock Tower. By the order of Venetian extraordinary provost Antonio Grimaldi construction of the Town Clock Tower began in 1602. Because of the earthquakes it is slightly lean towards the south. Immediately in front of it, there is a medieval pillory, where convicts where brought for public reading of the sentence. The original pyramid of the pillory was destroyed in 1945, present pyramid is reconstruction.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

The Town Clock Towerpublic buildings

Town’s Squares

Square of Arms, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Kotor urban structure is medieval one with irregular streets pattern and a lot of the town’s squar ...

Town’s SquaresPublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Square of Arms, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

Kotor urban structure is medieval one with irregular streets pattern and a lot of the town’s squares. Most prominent of them are: Square of Arms, St Typhon’s Square, St Luca’s Square, Square of Flour, Museum Square, and Square of Salad. The names of the squares are inspired by the church name (St Typhon and St Luca) or by the function of the buildings on the square (arms and flour). Square of Arms got its name by Venetian arsenal of arms that once was in a building on this square. Square of Flour got its name after flour magazines which used to be there. Similarly, Square of Salad got its name because of the small market that use to be on that square.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Town’s Squarespublic squares and streets

Town’s Gates

Town Gate, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

There are 3 historic town’s gates of Kotor: Town Gate (Sea Gate, Porta Marina), River Gate and Gur ...

Town’s GatesPublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Town Gate, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

There are 3 historic town’s gates of Kotor: Town Gate (Sea Gate, Porta Marina), River Gate and Gurdić Gate. The oldest one are southern gates called Gurdić Gate from the 12th century and later additions from the 16th and 18th century. On the north of the town there is the River Gate built in 1540 in memory of repellence of the Turkish admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa attempt to conquer the town in 1539. Town Gate or Sea Gate was made in 1555 during the Venetian provost Bernardo Renier. Original look of the Town Gate was altered in 1945 when the Lion of St Mark was replaced with the Yugoslav coat of arms, still visible today.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Town’s Gatespublic squares and streets

Museum of Perast

Perast 85336, Montenegro

Museum of Perast is situated in the Bujović Palace designed by the Venetian architect Giovanni Batt ...

Museum of PerastMuseums and galleries

Address | Location on Map

Perast 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—13:00 winter
9:00—20:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance

Basic Info

Museum of Perast is situated in the Bujović Palace designed by the Venetian architect Giovanni Battista Fontana. The palace was constructed in 1694 for Vicko Bujović by Venetian Republic to commemorate his heroism during the battle for liberation of town Herceg Novi from Turks in 1687. Bujović Palace is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of the 17th century architecture on the Eastern Adriatic coast. Collections of the Museum of Perast testify historical, maritime, economic and cultural development of Perast during the Venetian government (1420—1797) and through the 19th century.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Museum of Perastmuseums and galleries

St Nicholas’s Church

Pjaca Sv. Nikole, Perast 85336, Montenegro

St Nicholas’s is the parish church of Perast constructed in 1616 on the site of previous church fr ...

St Nicholas’s ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Pjaca Sv. Nikole, Perast 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—18:00 (summer)
On appointment (winter)
Free admission for church, visit to the Treasury of the church is not free

Basic Info

St Nicholas’s is the parish church of Perast constructed in 1616 on the site of previous church from 1564. Behind the present church new one was begun in 1740. The project for the new church was done by Venetian architect Giuseppe Beati. Works lasted until the end of Venetian Republic (1797), but church remained uncompleted to the present day. Today, two parts of the St Nicholas are united, old one serves as a sacral space and the new one house treasury of the church. Treasury of the St Nicolas contains works in silver and gold, paintings and sculptures, liturgical vestments, etc. Beside church, in 1691, belfry (55 meters tall), was constructed, by the architect Ivan Scarpa from the island Hvar.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Nicholas’s Churchsacral objects

Our Lady of the Rock Church

Perast 85336, Montenegro

The island of the Our Lady of the Rock is artificial, constructed around the sea rock where the Mort ...

Our Lady of the Rock ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Perast 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—19:00 (summer)
On appointment (winter)
Free admission for church, visit to the Museum of the Our Lady of the Rock is not free

Basic Info

The island of the Our Lady of the Rock is artificial, constructed around the sea rock where the Mortešić brothers found miraculous icon of Virgin and Child in 1452. First church was constructed in the 15th century. Most of the present church was constructed after 1667. On the main altar there is a miraculous icon of the Our Lady of the Rock, found by the Mortešić brothers, work of Marin Lovro Dobričević (1420—1478) a Gothic painter from Kotor. Almost all interior of the church is decorated by the paintings of Tripo Kokolja (1661—1713), a Baroque painter from Perast. Interior of the church is also decorated by the ex votos in silver by seamen of Perast and Bay of Kotor. Beside the church there is also a museum on the island of Our Lady of the Rock.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Our Lady of the Rock Churchsacral objects

Abby of St George

Perast 85336, Montenegro

The Abby of St George was founded by the Benedictine order in the 9th century on the small island ne ...

Abby of St GeorgeSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Perast 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

The Abby of St George was founded by the Benedictine order in the 9th century on the small island nearby town of Perast. Only few remains of the original abbacy survived, since the island was attacked by invaders and earthquakes. Interior of the church served as the graveyard of the inhabitants of Perast. Stone pavement still bares grave marks with the lettering and the depictions of coats of arms and ships. These are the most interesting artefacts in, otherwise modest, interior of the church of the St George Abby.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Abby of St Georgesacral objects

Palaces, Perast

Zmajević Palace, Perast 85336, Montenegro

Palaces of Perast where constricted by its noble and wealthy families as the symbol of their power a ...

Palaces, PerastPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Zmajević Palace, Perast 85336, Montenegro

Basic Info

Palaces of Perast where constricted by its noble and wealthy families as the symbol of their power and riches. Today there are 19 palaces of Perast still preserved. Most of them where built during the 17th and 18th century when Perast was at the peak of his political, economic and maritime power. Among them the most prominent are: Zmajević Palace, Bujović Palace, Visković Palace, Smeccia Palace, Mazarović Palace, Bronza Palace and Balović Palace. Although Baroque in style these palaces kept the measure of modesty which unite them with the other stone buildings of Perast.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Palaces, Perastpublic buildings

Churches, Perast

St Antony Monastery, Perast 85336, Montenegro

Beside parish church of St Nicholas’s there are also following churches in Perast: Our Lady of Ros ...

Churches, PerastSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

St Antony Monastery, Perast 85336, Montenegro

Basic Info

Beside parish church of St Nicholas’s there are also following churches in Perast: Our Lady of Rosary, St John the Baptist Church, St Mark Church, St Anne Church, Church of Our Lady of Carmel, Church of the Nativity of Our Lady and St Antony Monastery. All of them are Roman Catholic, except the Church of the Nativity of Our Lady, which is Orthodox. Most of these churches where constructed in the 17th and 18th century in Baroque style. Biggest of them is the church of Franciscan monastery of St Antony. Very important is also the Church of Our Lady of Rosary in which is the grave of the archbishop Andrija Zmajević (1628—1694), one of the most important ecclesiastics of the Perast and Bay of Kotor.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Churches, Perastsacral objects

Roman Mosaics, Risan

Risan 85337, Montenegro

In the remains of the Roman villa urbana from the 2nd century in Risan 7 mosaics where found. Among ...

Roman Mosaics, RisanArchaeological sites

Address | Location on Map

Risan 85337, Montenegro

Opening Hours

9:00—15:00 winter
9:00—19:00 summer
Admission fee for entrance 2 €

Basic Info

In the remains of the Roman villa urbana from the 2nd century in Risan 7 mosaics where found. Among these mosaics the most unique one is the mosaic with the representation of the Greek god of sleep Hypnos. He is depicted with the wings, reclining on a bed. The mosaic is multicolour (red, yellow, green, blue, black, white, brown) with stylised floral motifs wreathed in a certain geometric rhythm symbolising bow and arrow. This is unique depictions of Hypnos from antiquity. Other preserved mosaics contain geometrical and floral motifs. All mosaics where part of the interior decoration of the villa urbana. The mosaic of Hypnos decorated the bedroom of the villa’s owner.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Roman Mosaics, Risanarchaeological sites

Banja Monastery, Risan

Perast 85336, Montenegro

According to the tradition Banja Monastery was built in the 13th century. First archival mentioning ...

Banja Monastery, RisanSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Perast 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

According to the tradition Banja Monastery was built in the 13th century. First archival mentioning of the Banja Monastery is from the 1602. It was burned in 1654 by the Turks, after their defeat in battle for Perast. The present day catholicon church of the Banja Monastery is dedicated to the St. George and it was built by the archimandrite Athanasios of Hilandar in 1720. Treasury of the Banja Monastery contains rich collections of icons, liturgical vestments and objects, books and archival material. One of the most precious artefacts of the treasury is epitrachelion (stole) with the silver broidery which represent Romanian nobleman Stoja and his wife Sima from 1606.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Banja Monastery, Risansacral objects

SS Peter and Paul Church

Risan 85337, Montenegro

SS Peter and Paul Church was constructed in 1601. Church has a dome, semi-circular apse and belfry i ...

SS Peter and Paul ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Risan 85337, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

SS Peter and Paul Church was constructed in 1601. Church has a dome, semi-circular apse and belfry in in front the main portal of the church. All the architectural elements are decorated with the sculptural elements in stone. SS Peter and Paul Church has beautiful iconostasis and the rich collection of icons and liturgical objects. Icons are mostly work of local icon painting school of founded by Dimitrije Rafailović Daskal, also known as Bokelian icon painting school. This icon painting school decorated many churches in and around the Bay of Kotor from the 17th to 19th century. In the immediate vicinity of the St Peter and St Paul Church there is the Chapel of Archangel Michael.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

SS Peter and Paul Churchsacral objects

Gabela, Risan

Risan 85337, Montenegro

Medieval street Gabela is a historical and ambient unit of town Risan through which transport of goo ...

Gabela, RisanPublic squares and streets

Address | Location on Map

Risan 85337, Montenegro

Basic Info

Medieval street Gabela is a historical and ambient unit of town Risan through which transport of goods between port and inland hinterland was and still is carried out. Authentic street pavement, made of coarse river pebbles, divided diagonally in numerous fields. Stylistic and chronological analysis of building houses along Gabela show that the oldest objects are from Baroque period, i.e. from the 17th and the 18th century. The significance of this street, both historical and aesthetical, is in it preservation of the original medieval street covering of the highest value.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Gabela, Risanpublic squares and streets

Lipci Rock is located in the middle of a naturally formed amphitheatre above the settlement of Lipci ...

Prehistoric Drawings at Lipci Rock, LipciArchaeological sites

Address | Location on Map

Morinj 85338, Montenegro

Basic Info

Lipci Rock is located in the middle of a naturally formed amphitheatre above the settlement of Lipci, on the northern coast of town Risan. Prehistoric drawings at Lipci Rock depicts: a deer hunting scenes, a symbolic sign of the rising Sun, as well as some other symbols. These painted scenes, according to scientific findings, do not only represent reality, i.e. the illustration of hunting as an occupation, but also the symbolic and magical imagery related to it. The art at Lipci, created in the 8th century BC, is the second oldest on the Adriatic coast.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Prehistoric Drawings at Lipci Rock, Lipciarchaeological sites

St George’s Church

Oravac, Kotor 85336, Montenegro

The first mentioning of St George’s Church is from the 15th century. It is situated on the top of ...

St George’s ChurchSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Oravac, Kotor 85336, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

The first mentioning of St George’s Church is from the 15th century. It is situated on the top of the imposing rock with the splendid view on Orahovac and the Bay of Kotor. Together with the nearby graveyard makes unique complex important history and culture of this part of the Bay of Kotor. In the interior of the church there is still visible, although damaged, fresco decoration from the 17th century. Iconostasis of the church is work of painter Špiro Đuranović (1864—1910).

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St George’s Churchsacral objects

Bajo’s Tower, Orahovac

Oravac, Kotor 85336, Montenegro

Bajo’s Tower was the house of Bajo Nikolić Pivljanin (?—1685) from the Piva region of Old Herce ...

Bajo’s Tower, OrahovacPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Oravac, Kotor 85336, Montenegro

Basic Info

Bajo’s Tower was the house of Bajo Nikolić Pivljanin (?—1685) from the Piva region of Old Hercegovina, now Montenegro. He was hajduk, which was the term for the fighters against Ottoman rule. Because of his bravery he gained the place in the folk tradition. He and his hajduks where supported by Venetian Republic. His house (tower) nearby village Dražin Vrt, between Perast and Orahovac, is still preserved. Today it is a restaurant and the popular place for swimming.

More Info

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Bajo’s Tower, Orahovacpublic buildings

New Parish Church, Prčanj

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

New Parish Church in Prčanj is dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The constructi ...

New Parish Church, PrčanjSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

New Parish Church in Prčanj is dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The construction of the church begun in 1780 and it lasted until 1908 according to the project of the Venetian architect Bernardo Macaruzzi. Monumental architecture of the church with the three naves, dome over the crossing of the nave and transept and semi-circular apse house rich collection of the paintings, icons, liturgical objects and votive gifts. Since it was completed at the beginning of the 20th century, it contains also rich and representative collection of modern art frescoes, paintings and sculpture from the artist of the ex-Yugoslavia.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

New Parish Church, Prčanjsacral objects

Franciscan Monastery of St. Nicholas in Prčanj was built between 1728 and 1735. The monastery was n ...

Franciscan Monastery of St Nicholas, PrčanjSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

Franciscan Monastery of St. Nicholas in Prčanj was built between 1728 and 1735. The monastery was not only one of the centres of religious life in Prčanj, but also the place where there was primary school, nautical school, library and pharmacy. It was the site of the historical events too, like the gathering of the political representatives of the Bay of Kotor in 1848, when it was decided not to unite with Croatia. Monastery church has been recently restored, while the other monastery buildings are still waiting the restoration.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Franciscan Monastery of St Nicholas, Prčanjsacral objects

Old Parish Church, Prčanj

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

The exact date of the construction of the Old Parish Church in Prčanj is not known. First archival ...

Old Parish Church, PrčanjSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Basic Info

The exact date of the construction of the Old Parish Church in Prčanj is not known. First archival mentioning of the church is from 1399. Later it was enlarged in 1672 and in 1740 when octagonal presbytery and belfry was built. Together with the graveyard and protective walls, it was unique architectural complex. It was, because today it is in ruins and it is more archaeological site then regular sacral building. Nevertheless, it is still very important testimony of the history of the town Prčanj.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Old Parish Church, Prčanjsacral objects

The Tre Sorelle Palace, Prčanj

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

The Tre Sorelle Palace dates back from the 15th century. It is one of the rare profane buildings fro ...

The Tre Sorelle Palace, PrčanjPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Basic Info

The Tre Sorelle Palace dates back from the 15th century. It is one of the rare profane buildings from that period still preserved, not only in Prčanj, but generally in the area of the bay of Kotor. Once it belonged to the Buća noble family from Kotor. Their coat of arms is still preserved on the façade of the building. The shape of the palace, which resembles to the joined three houses, inspired popular legend of three sisters who lived in the palace. They were in love with a same sailor, which never come back from the see. Still they were waiting for him. But as time went by, when one of them died, her window was closed with stones. The window of the last sister left open, because there was nobody to close it. That is how the building got its name: The Palace of Three Sisters.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

The Tre Sorelle Palace, Prčanjpublic buildings

Palaces, Prčanj

Beskuća Palace, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Palaces of Perast where constricted by its noble and wealthy families as the symbol of their power a ...

Palaces, PrčanjPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

Beskuća Palace, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Basic Info

Palaces of Perast where constricted by its noble and wealthy families as the symbol of their power and riches. Today there are 11 palaces of Prčanj still preserved. Most of them where built during the 17th and 18th century when Prčanj was at the peak of his political, economic and maritime power. Among them the most prominent are: Tre Sorelle Palace, Luković Palace, Beskuća Palace, Verona Palace and Florio-Luković Palace. The oldest of them is Tre Sorelle Palace from 15th century in Gothic style, the rest of m are in Baroque style, which are made according to the Venetians architectural influences.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Palaces, Prčanjpublic buildings

Churches, Prčanj

Beskuća Palace, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Principal sacral object of Prčanj are: New Parish Church, Old Parish Church and Franciscan Monaster ...

Churches, PrčanjSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Beskuća Palace, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Basic Info

Principal sacral object of Prčanj are: New Parish Church, Old Parish Church and Franciscan Monastery of St Nicholas. Beside them, there are also: St John the Baptist Church, Church of Our Lady of Carmel, St Antony of Padua Church, St Peter’s Church and the Chapel of Blessed Virgin Mary Auxiliary. All of these churches where bult from 17th to 18th century, sometimes on the sites of older churches. Very important are the ruins of the St Thomas’s Church, which was early Christian church.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Churches, Prčanjsacral objects

Holy Name of Mary Church, Stoliv

Donji Stoliv, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

The Holy Name of Mary Church was built in 1774. Above the main portal of the church there is a stone ...

Holy Name of Mary Church, StolivSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Donji Stoliv, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

The Holy Name of Mary Church was built in 1774. Above the main portal of the church there is a stone sculpture of Blessed Virgin Mary. Belfry of the church was constructed in 1833. In the interior of the church there is beautiful marble altar with the sculptures of St Peter and St Paul. Between these two sculptures there is an icon of Our Lady with the silver cover. There is resemblance between the altar of the Holy Name of Mary Church and the altar of the Our Lady of the Rock church.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Holy Name of Mary Church, Stolivsacral objects

Our Lady of Angles, Verige

Verige, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Our Lady of the Angles Church in Verige is located in the narrowest part of the Bay of Kotor, approx ...

Our Lady of Angles, VerigeSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Verige, Prčanj 85335, Montenegro

Basic Info

Our Lady of the Angles Church in Verige is located in the narrowest part of the Bay of Kotor, approximately 310 meters from the other shore of the Bay. Exact date of the construction is not known. Church was restored and enlarged in 1586 and then again in 1654 when it was destroyed by Turks. During the second restoration done by the citizens of Perast, elements of the fortification were added to the church. This was strategic place for Perast, therefore elements of fortification architecture. After long time of neglect, church is again under restoration.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Our Lady of Angles, Verigesacral objects

SS Cosmas and Damian Church, Muo

Muo, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

First mentioning of SS Cosmas and Damian Church in Muo is from the 13th century. Church has been enl ...

SS Cosmas and Damian Church, MuoSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Muo, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

First mentioning of SS Cosmas and Damian Church in Muo is from the 13th century. Church has been enlarged in 1784. The old part of the church is on the southern side and new part of the church is on the northern part of the church. Interior of the church served as the graveyard of the inhabitants of Muo. Stone pavement still bares grave marks with the lettering and the depictions of coats of arms.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

SS Cosmas and Damian Church, Muosacral objects

St Domnius’s Church, Škaljari

Škaljari, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Present day St Domnius’s Church is from the 13th century, although some archaeological findings in ...

St Domnius’s Church, ŠkaljariSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Škaljari, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

Present day St Domnius’s Church is from the 13th century, although some archaeological findings indicate the existence of the older church, from 9th century on the site of the present one. Architecture of the church is very unusual. It is a two story building. The lower larger story is a crypt, which is a base for the upper smaller story which is church. Lower story has some pre Romanesque elements of architecture, while upper is Romanesque-Gothic building. From the northern side of the lower story creek pass by. After centuries of neglect the church was restored in 2005.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Domnius’s Church, Škaljarisacral objects

St Matthew the Apostle Church, Dobrota

Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

First mentioning of St Matthew the Apostol Church is from the 13th century. Present church has been ...

St Matthew the Apostle Church, DobrotaSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

First mentioning of St Matthew the Apostol Church is from the 13th century. Present church has been built in after the earthquake of 1667. Main nave was built in 1670 and domed side chapels were added after 1770. Finally, belfry was constructed in 1784. Two most precious painting in the church are: Madonna and Child by Venetian Renaissance painter Giovanni Bellini (1430—1516) and St Nicholas by Italian Baroque painter Pietro Antonio Novelli (1729—1804). Church possess rich collection of liturgical vestment, especially one with local type of Dobrota of lace.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Matthew the Apostle Church, Dobrotasacral objects

St Eustace’s, Dobrota

Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

First Church of St Eustace was built immediately by the sea, according to the archival records from ...

St Eustace’s, DobrotaSacral objects

Address | Location on Map

Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Opening Hours

On appointment

Basic Info

First Church of St Eustace was built immediately by the sea, according to the archival records from the 14th century. Present day church was constructed from 1762 to 1772, according to the plans of Venetian architect Bartolo Riviera. Belfry, 37.5 meters tall, was added in 1903. Ceiling of the church is decorated with paintings of Croatian painter Josip (Jozo) Kljaković (1889—1969) depicting the scenes from the life of St Eustache. Another Croat artist, Edo Murtić (1921—2005) sets mosaics on all three walls of church presbyitery in 1990. Church also possess rich collection of liturgical vestment, especially one with local type of Dobrota of lace.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

St Eustace’s, Dobrotasacral objects

Palaces, Dobrota

The “Bent” Palace, Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Similar like in other towns in the Bay of Kotor, palaces of Dobrota where constricted by its noble a ...

Palaces, DobrotaPublic buildings

Address | Location on Map

The “Bent” Palace, Dobrota, Kotor 85330, Montenegro

Basic Info

Similar like in other towns in the Bay of Kotor, palaces of Dobrota where constricted by its noble and wealthy families as the symbol of their power and riches. Today there are 11 palaces of Dobrota still preserved. Most of them where built during the 17th and 18th century when Dobrota was at the peak of his political, economic and maritime power. Among them the most prominent are: 3 palaces of Radoničić family, Milošević Palace, Vida Lušina’s Palace (Central Commission Building), Kamenarović Palace, The “Bent” Palace, Dabinović Palace (“Rooster’s Tower”), Ivanović Palace, Tripković Palace and Ivanović Palace at the Marović Site. All of these palaces are in Baroque style.

Kotor | all sights

x
×

Palaces, Dobrotapublic buildings

To manually optimise and edit your route

  • Rearrange illustration
    Drag and drop list items to rearrange them
  • Remove attraction illustration
    Click x to remove attraction from route
  • Make route icon
    Click MAKE ROUTE button again to generate new route on the map

When satisfied with your route

  • Save route icon
    Click SAVE ROUTE button to save it, you have to be logged in to save route
  • Generate eBooklet icon
    Click GENERATE eBOOKLET to generate pdf that you can print or save locally on your computer

The Natural and Culturo-Historical Region of Kotor is part of the impressive Bay of Boka Kotorska, a unique natural harbour at the Adriatic coast of Montenegro. The Kotor Region was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1979, due to its Outstanding Universal Value embodied in the quality of architecture in its fortified and open cities, settlements, palaces and monastic ensembles, and their harmonious integration into the cultivated terraced landscape of high rocky hills. The Region bears unique testimony to the exceptionally important role it played over centuries in the spreading of Mediterranean cultures into the Balkans.

The Region includes over ten towns and settlements of distinctive character lined along the naturally complex coast of the Bay, separated by areas of cultivated land or ancient rocky landscape.

Risan, the former centre of Illyrian and Hellenistic culture in this region, has preserved remains of the Illyrian-Hellenistic hill-fort of Gradina, the Roman town of Rhizon, including a Roman villa with mosaics (2nd C. AD), and of the former Turkish town.

From the 6th century A.D. Kotor is the leading town and the main administrative and political centre of the Bay. Kotor is remarkable for its long continuity of history. The original, urban area is encircled by walls, a unique example of urban fortification on the Adriatic. More than thirty churches have been preserved or have existed in the old town. Six of them, from the Romanesque period, are of particular historical value: St. Tryphon’s Cathedral (1166), St. Luke’s (1195), St. Anne’s (12th-13th C.), St. Mary Collegiate (1221), St. Paul’s (1263) and St. Michael’s (6th-14th C.). The town also boasts numerous palaces of old noble families and public buildings. The town had its Statute back in 1301. Artistic and other trades flourished, especially during the Middle Ages, each featuring many workshops. Valuable artefacts and documents, including the oldest books of Kotor’s notaries from 1326, are kept in the museums, churches and archives, notably the Maritime Museum of Montenegro and the Historical Archive of Kotor.

During the 17th and 18th centuries, the neighbouring coastal settlements of Perast, Dobrota, Prčanj and Stoliv came to prominence, remaining nevertheless strongly linked to Kotor. The secular architecture of baroque palaces is prevalent in these settlements.

Perast is distinctive for its baroque churches and palaces, and two islands situated off its seafront: the natural island of St. George, with a Benedictine abbey (9th c.); and Our Lady of the Rock, a man-made island, built by depositing stones and scuttling old ships filled with stones around a small crag.

In addition to its exceptional natural setting, architectural treasures and moveable heritage, the Bay of Boka Kotorska has rich layers of immaterial heritage (the Boka Navy dance, the “Fašinada”, legends, etc.), which all together make it a cultural landscape of outstanding and universal value.

Kotor

Loading...