Ploče Gate

Vrata od Ploča Street

The 15th century Ploče Gate leads to the suburban area of Ploče and is situated near Revelin Fort. ...

Ploče GateCity walls and forts

Photo coming soon

Address | Location on Map

Vrata od Ploča Street

Opening Hours

Today it's always open but during the Dubrovnik Republic the drawbridge was lifted every night.

Basic Info

The 15th century Ploče Gate leads to the suburban area of Ploče and is situated near Revelin Fort. It consists of inner and outer gate with stone bridges. Above the inner gate stands Asimon Tower. The outer bridge has a wooden drawbridge. Above the Ploče Gate there is a stone statue of St. Blaise, the City patron.

More Info

    Dubrovnik | all sights

    x
    ×

    Ploče Gatecity walls and forts

    Buža Gate

    R.Bošković Street

    The north city entrance Buže was created in the city walls in 1907. ...

    Buža GateCity walls and forts

    Photo coming soon

    Address | Location on Map

    R.Bošković Street

    Opening Hours

    always open

    Basic Info

    The north city entrance Buže was created in the city walls in 1907. The street is named after Ruđer Bošković, Croatian 18th century scientist, physicist, astronomer and poet.

    More Info

      Dubrovnik | all sights

      x
      ×

      Buža Gatecity walls and forts

      Stradun is colloquially called Placa and is the main open urban area of Dubrovnik. It's 300 m (1000 ...

      Stradun – PlacaPublic squares and streets

      Photo coming soon

      Address | Location on Map

      Stradun

      Opening Hours

      Always open

      Basic Info

      Stradun is colloquially called Placa and is the main open urban area of Dubrovnik. It's 300 m (1000 ft) long and it is the venue of all public feasts and processions. Stradun is also the main commercial street of the City. Prior to the 1667 earthquake it was lined with luxurious palaces. Todays Stradun was constructed after the earthquake. According to the project approved by the Republic Senate all the Baroque houses along it have almost identical height and facades with shops on the street level.

      More Info

        Dubrovnik | all sights

        x
        ×

        Stradun – Placapublic squares and streets

        Fort Revelin

        outside the City Walls near Ploče gate

        The lower part of the fort was built in 1463 in the shape the City model held by St. Blaise on the t ...

        Fort RevelinCity walls and forts

        Photo coming soon

        Address | Location on Map

        outside the City Walls near Ploče gate

        Opening Hours

        for timetable go to The City walls

        Basic Info

        The lower part of the fort was built in 1463 in the shape the City model held by St. Blaise on the triptych painted by Nikola Božidarević around 1500. The fort protected the eastern part of the City from the mainland and the entrance to the City Harbour. In 1538 the fort was strengthened and enlarged in the form of an irregular square. It has three entrances. Today the interior of the fort and its terraces are venues for archaeological exhibitions, banquets, weddings, concerts by the Dubrovnik Symphony Orchestra, and for Dubrovnik Summer Festival performances.

        More Info

          Dubrovnik | all sights

          x
          ×

          Fort Revelincity walls and forts

          Pile Gate

          Vrata od Pila Street

          Pile gate is one of the starting points when visiting Dubrovnik. When you pass through its outer and ...

          Pile GateCity walls and forts

          Photo coming soon

          Address | Location on Map

          Vrata od Pila Street

          Opening Hours

          Today it's always open, but during the Dubrovnik Republic the drawbridge was lifted every night.

          Basic Info

          Pile gate is one of the starting points when visiting Dubrovnik. When you pass through its outer and inner gate you arrive at Stradun – main city's promenade. Stone bridge with wooden drawbridge leads from Revelin Forth to outer gate built in the 16th century. Above it's renaissance arch there is the statue of the city’s patron saint St Blaise, the work of Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović. Inner gate was built in the15th century. By the Inner Pile Gate the main entrance to the City walls is situated.

          More Info

            Dubrovnik | all sights

            x
            ×

            Pile Gatecity walls and forts

            Fort Bokar

            South-east part of the City Walls, Od Puća 20

            Bokar Fort is semicircular tower with beautiful cornices designed by the Florentine architect Michel ...

            Fort BokarCity walls and forts

            Photo coming soon

            Address | Location on Map

            South-east part of the City Walls, Od Puća 20

            Opening Hours

            Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

            Basic Info

            Bokar Fort is semicircular tower with beautiful cornices designed by the Florentine architect Michelozzi in the 15th century. It defended the City Gate, the bridge and the moat at Pile.

            Dubrovnik | all sights

            x
            ×

            Fort Bokarcity walls and forts

            Fort Minčeta

            north-western part of the City Walls

            Fort Minčeta is a large circular tower with massive battlement suspended by stone supporters, situa ...

            Fort MinčetaCity walls and forts

            Photo coming soon

            Address | Location on Map

            north-western part of the City Walls

            Opening Hours

            Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

            Basic Info

            Fort Minčeta is a large circular tower with massive battlement suspended by stone supporters, situated on the highest north-western part of the City. The first, smaller, quadrangular tower was constructed in 1319. Fort was completed in 1464 by Michelozzo Michelozzi and Juraj Dalmatinac.

            More Info

              Dubrovnik | all sights

              x
              ×

              Fort Minčetacity walls and forts

              St. Johns Fort

              south-east part of the City Walls

              The first quadrangular pier tower was constructed in 1346 in order to protect the City harbour in th ...

              St. Johns FortCity walls and forts

              Photo coming soon

              Address | Location on Map

              south-east part of the City Walls

              Opening Hours

              Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

              Basic Info

              The first quadrangular pier tower was constructed in 1346 in order to protect the City harbour in the south-east. The present time fort was completed in the 16th century, when the entire complex was enlarged. Today St. Johns Fort houses the Aquarium and the Maritime Museum. One of the entrances to the walls is also situated here.

              More Info

                Dubrovnik | all sights

                x
                ×

                St. Johns Fortcity walls and forts

                Lovrijenac Fort

                on the 37-meters high sea cliff outside the City Walls

                A flight of stairs lead from Pile beach to Lovrijenac Fort. ...

                Lovrijenac FortCity walls and forts

                Photo coming soon

                Address | Location on Map

                on the 37-meters high sea cliff outside the City Walls

                Opening Hours

                A flight of stairs lead from Pile beach to Lovrijenac Fort. The Fort was built to protect the western sea access to the City from the Venetian fleet. It was constructed from 11th to 16th century. Walls are 4 to 12m tick. Above the entrance is famous inscription in Latin: NON BENE PRO TOTO LIBERTAS VENDITUR AURO (Freedom is not sold for all the gold of the world). In Chapel of St. Lawrence and its courtyard a large number of plays has been performed during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival. Lovrijenac Fort is also world famous setting for Shakespeares Hamlet.

                Basic Info

                A flight of stairs lead from Pile beach to Lovrijenac Fort. The Fort was built to protect the western sea access to the City from the Venetian fleet. It was constructed from 11th to 16th century. Walls are 4 to 12m tick. Above the entrance is famous inscription in Latin: NON BENE PRO TOTO LIBERTAS VENDITUR AURO (Freedom is not sold for all the gold of the world). In Chapel of St. Lawrence and its courtyard a large number of plays has been performed during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival. Lovrijenac Fort is also world famous setting for Shakespeares Hamlet.

                More Info

                  Dubrovnik | all sights

                  x
                  ×

                  Lovrijenac Fortcity walls and forts

                  Gundulić Square

                  Gundulićeva poljana - Behind the Cathedral, across Bunić Square

                  In the center of the square there is the statue of Ivan Gundulić, Dubrovnik's 18th century poet. ...

                  Gundulić SquarePublic squares and streets

                  Photo coming soon

                  Address | Location on Map

                  Gundulićeva poljana - Behind the Cathedral, across Bunić Square

                  Opening Hours

                  Always open

                  Basic Info

                  In the center of the square there is the statue of Ivan Gundulić, Dubrovnik's 18th century poet. The Statue made in 1892 is the work of Ivan Rendić. Its pedestal is covered with bronze reliefs with scenes from Gundulić's epic poem Osman. Every morning the Square turns into a picturesque green market where farmers from local villages sell their fruits and vegetables.

                  More Info

                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                    x
                    ×

                    Gundulić Squarepublic squares and streets

                    Old Port

                    Eastern part of the City

                    Old Port Dubrovnik is surrounded by two breakwaters: Porporela in front of St. John fort and Kaše. ...

                    Old PortPublic squares and streets

                    Photo coming soon

                    Address | Location on Map

                    Eastern part of the City

                    Opening Hours

                    Always open

                    Basic Info

                    Old Port Dubrovnik is surrounded by two breakwaters: Porporela in front of St. John fort and Kaše. Apart from them, in the time of the Dubrovnik Republic, several forts protected the port: St Lucas Fort, Fort St John's and Revelin fort. Today boat lines go to Cavtat, Mlini and Island of Lokrum. Also various sightseeing boat tours depart from the Old Port. Old Arsenal building in Port was a place where ships were built in the time of the Dubrovnik Republic. When a ship was built vaults were sealed by bricks to hide shipbuilding secrets. When a ship was finished wall was demolished and ship was launched into the sea. Today Arsenal serves as a restaurant with interior arranged as an ancient shipyard.

                    More Info

                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                      x
                      ×

                      Old Portpublic squares and streets

                      Onofrio’s Great Fountain

                      Poljana Paskoja Miličevića, at the beginning of Stradun, near Pile gate, opposite the Church of St Saviour

                      Onofrio's Great Fountain is a 16-sided drinking fountain built by Onofrio de la Cava in the 15th cen ...

                      Onofrio’s Great FountainStatues and monuments

                      Photo coming soon

                      Address | Location on Map

                      Poljana Paskoja Miličevića, at the beginning of Stradun, near Pile gate, opposite the Church of St Saviour

                      Opening Hours

                      Always open

                      Basic Info

                      Onofrio's Great Fountain is a 16-sided drinking fountain built by Onofrio de la Cava in the 15th century. Originally the fountain had more sculptures but they were heavily damaged in the 1667 earthquake. Today only 16 carved masks from which the water is gushing into the drainage pool are preserved. Fountain is a part of Dubrovnik’s aqueduct system which Onofrio created by bringing the water from the well in Šumet. The well is located cca 20 km from Onofrio's Great Fountain and this construction was a masterpiece of that time. To this day, Dubrovnik still receives its water supply from the same water well.

                      More Info

                        Dubrovnik | all sights

                        x
                        ×

                        Onofrio’s Great Fountainstatues and monuments

                        Orlando’s Column

                        Luža Square between the Sponza Palace and the Church of St. Blaise

                        Orlando's column is a 1418 stone column with the figure of a medieval knight in armour carved into ...

                        Orlando’s ColumnStatues and monuments

                        Photo coming soon

                        Address | Location on Map

                        Luža Square between the Sponza Palace and the Church of St. Blaise

                        Opening Hours

                        Always open

                        Basic Info

                        Orlando's column is a 1418 stone column with the figure of a medieval knight in armour carved into it. The statue is the symbol of the freedom of Dubrovnik along the flag of the Republic that flew upon him on the feast days. According to the legend Orlando (Rolando) helped to liberate Dubrovnik from Arab pirates in the 8th century. Today the raising of the "Libertas" flag on the column marks the beginning of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.

                        More Info

                          Dubrovnik | all sights

                          x
                          ×

                          Orlando’s Columnstatues and monuments

                          Sponza palace was built in the 16th century in Gothic-Renaissance style. It has rectangular plan, wi ...

                          Divona Palace – Dubrovnik State ArchivePublic buildings

                          Photo coming soon

                          Address | Location on Map

                          Placa bb

                          Opening Hours

                          Reading Room: Mon-Fri 08:15-15:00, Sat 8:15-13:00

                          Basic Info

                          Sponza palace was built in the 16th century in Gothic-Renaissance style. It has rectangular plan, with arcaded portico and atrium. The Palace was the liveliest commercial centre of the City. It also served as the mint and arsenal. In the 17th century it became the meeting place of members of the "Academy of the Learned", who used to discuss literature, arts and science. Today it houses the Dubrovnik Archives (DAD). The Luža Square in front of Sponza Palace is the site of the opening ceremonies of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.

                          More Info

                            Dubrovnik | all sights

                            x
                            ×

                            Divona Palace – Dubrovnik State Archivepublic buildings

                            31-meter high City Bell Tower with a clock is situated near the Guard Building. It was constructed i ...

                            BELL TOWER AND BELL LOUNGEPublic buildings

                            Photo coming soon

                            Address | Location on Map

                            Luža Street

                            Opening Hours

                            Winnter: closed, summer: open all day (till 12 am)

                            Basic Info

                            31-meter high City Bell Tower with a clock is situated near the Guard Building. It was constructed in 1444. In 1506 a new bell and two bronze figures were cast by famous maker of Dubrovnik cannons. Those bronze figures are called Zelenići ("Greens") and they mark the hours with their hammers. Stability of the tower was weakened after 1667 earthquake , it began to lean over time and had to be rebuild in 1929. At that time the original bronze figures were replaced by thier copies. Originals are now exibited at the Sponza Palace Atrium.

                            More Info

                              Dubrovnik | all sights

                              x
                              ×

                              BELL TOWER AND BELL LOUNGEpublic buildings

                              ST. BLAISE CHURCH

                              Luža Square

                              St. Blaise Church was constructed in 1715 in the Venetian Baroque style, on the site of the old 14th ...

                              ST. BLAISE CHURCHSacral objects

                              Photo coming soon

                              Address | Location on Map

                              Luža Square

                              Opening Hours

                              closed due to reconstruction

                              Basic Info

                              St. Blaise Church was constructed in 1715 in the Venetian Baroque style, on the site of the old 14th century Romanesque church. It was damaged in the 1667 earthquake and completely destroyed by the fire in 1706. Only the silver statue of St Blaise was miraculously undamaged. The statue holds the model of the city and reveals its architecture before earthquake. St Blaise has been city's patron saint from the 10th century. Today St Blaise's Day, celebrated on 3 February, is also the City of Dubrovnik Day.

                              More Info

                                Dubrovnik | all sights

                                x
                                ×

                                ST. BLAISE CHURCHsacral objects

                                CITY HALL AND MARIN DRŽIĆ’S THEATRE

                                Pred Dvorom 1 – City of Dubrovnik Pred Dvorom 3 – Dubrovnik Theatre between the Rector's Palace and the City Bell tower

                                City Council Palace was built in the 14th century it was connected to Rector's Palace through an int ...

                                CITY HALL AND MARIN DRŽIĆ’S THEATREPublic buildings

                                Photo coming soon

                                Address | Location on Map

                                Pred Dvorom 1 – City of Dubrovnik Pred Dvorom 3 – Dubrovnik Theatre between the Rector's Palace and the City Bell tower

                                Opening Hours

                                Theatre's box office: 9 am – 12am and 6pm – 8pm City Hall : Mon - Fri 8 am – 4 pm

                                Basic Info

                                City Council Palace was built in the 14th century it was connected to Rector's Palace through an internal doorway with famous inscription "Obliti privatorum publica curate" ("Forget your private business, deal with state affairs"). Palace was completely destroyed in a fire in 1816. At the end of the 19th century the City Hall was erected in the same location. Today this is the administrative centre of Dubrovnik. Part of this building is the Dubrovnik Theatre and the Gradska Kavana (City Coffeehouse).

                                More Info

                                  Dubrovnik | all sights

                                  x
                                  ×

                                  CITY HALL AND MARIN DRŽIĆ’S THEATREpublic buildings

                                  The Rectors Palace was the administrative centre of the Dubrovnik Republic. It got its present-day s ...

                                  RECTOR’S PALACE AND THE CULTURAL-HISTORIC MUSEUMPublic buildings

                                  Photo coming soon

                                  Address | Location on Map

                                  Pred Dvorom 1

                                  Opening Hours

                                  9am-6pm Apr-Oct, to 4pm Nov-Mar

                                  Basic Info

                                  The Rectors Palace was the administrative centre of the Dubrovnik Republic. It got its present-day size with the central atrium and front portico in 1435 after first gunpowder explosions . The second gunpowder explosion in 1463 destroyed the western facade of the Palace and its facade and portico were restored in Renaissance style. After the 1667 earthquake the atrium was reconstructed with an impressive Baroque staircase. The Rector of Dubrovnik lived in the Palace, which also housed the Minor and Major Council hall, the Rectors residence, the courtroom, administration office, prisons, an arsenal and gunpowder store-house. The Rectors Palace was connected to City Council Palace through an internal doorway with famous inscription "Obliti privatorum publica curate" ("Forget your private business, deal with state affairs"). Today the Rectors Palace houses The Cultural Historical Museum. http://www.dumus.hr/en/cultural-history-museum/ The Rectors Palace Atrium has excellent acoustics, an

                                  More Info

                                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                                    x
                                    ×

                                    RECTOR’S PALACE AND THE CULTURAL-HISTORIC MUSEUMmuseums and galleries, public buildings

                                    THE LAZARETTOS – QUARANTINES

                                    Ploče - near eastern entrance to the City

                                    Lazaretto Complex is situated in Ploče, the suburb that used to be the meeting place of merchants a ...

                                    THE LAZARETTOS – QUARANTINESPublic buildings

                                    Photo coming soon

                                    Address | Location on Map

                                    Ploče - near eastern entrance to the City

                                    Basic Info

                                    Lazaretto Complex is situated in Ploče, the suburb that used to be the meeting place of merchants and travellers from the Ottoman Empire. It consist of eight preserved buildings and five courtyards. The first quarantine was built there in 1377 for the purpose of isolating the travellers and goods from the eastern countries, where the outbreaks of contagious diseases were frequent. In 1623 the complex was renovated in order to enable larger boats landing. At that time it was the largest and best organised transit centare with quarantines on the Mediterran. Today the Lazareti complex is home to local cultural groups, including the famous folklore ensemble Linđo - http://www.lindjo.hr/eng/index.php. It also houses Club Lazareti that plays club, dance, and hip/hop music and newly renovated exhibition space for contemporary independent artists.

                                    More Info

                                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                                      x
                                      ×

                                      THE LAZARETTOS – QUARANTINESpublic buildings

                                      Cathedral – TreasurySacral objects

                                      Photo coming soon

                                      Address | Location on Map

                                      Kneza Damjana Jude 1

                                      Opening Hours

                                      7.30am-6pm

                                      Basic Info

                                      Dubrovnik Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary is built on the site of 7th century basilica. Later Romanesque cathedral with a dome was built thanks to English king Richard the Lionheart. In 1192 he survived a shipwreck near the Island of Lokrum on his way back from the 3rd Crusade and decided to donate the money for the church construction. Church was completely destroyed in the 1667 earthquake. A new cathedral made in the Baroque style was built from 1672 – 1713. It is a three-nave church with dome and several altars of Late Baroque style. Behind the main altar hangs the famous polyptych of the Assumption of the Virgin made in the workshop of 16th-century italian painter Titian. Cathedral's treasury is situated to the side of the main altar and is full of gold and silver relics and reliquaries made between the 11th and 17th centuries. The stored wealth was secured with three keys (kept by the Rector, the Bishop and the Republic secretary) and could be unlocked onl

                                      More Info

                                        Dubrovnik | all sights

                                        x
                                        ×

                                        Cathedral – Treasurysacral objects

                                        CHURCH OF ST. SAVIOUR

                                        At the beginning of Stradun, between Pile Gate and Franciscan Monastery

                                        The church was built in the 16th century after an earthquake, as a gratitude for sparing the city fr ...

                                        CHURCH OF ST. SAVIOURSacral objects

                                        Photo coming soon

                                        Address | Location on Map

                                        At the beginning of Stradun, between Pile Gate and Franciscan Monastery

                                        Opening Hours

                                        Open only for occasional exhibitions and concerts

                                        Basic Info

                                        The church was built in the 16th century after an earthquake, as a gratitude for sparing the city from even bigger destruction. It is one of the few buildings to survive the big 1667 earthquake. That's why it can be seen now in its original form, as a fine example of the town's Renaissance architecture.

                                        More Info

                                          Dubrovnik | all sights

                                          x
                                          ×

                                          CHURCH OF ST. SAVIOURsacral objects

                                          The monastery complex covers a large area from Stradun to the Minčeta Fort. ...

                                          FRANCISCAN MONASTERY & MUSEUMMuseums and galleries

                                          Photo coming soon

                                          Address | Location on Map

                                          Placa 2

                                          Opening Hours

                                          summer (last Sun / week in Mar - last Sun / week in Oct): 9am - 6pm winter: 9am - 2pm

                                          Basic Info

                                          The monastery complex covers a large area from Stradun to the Minčeta Fort. During the 1667 earthquake old monastry church was completely destroyed. Only the southern doors with an archivolt in the Gothic style and sculpture of the Pieta were preserved. This portal constructed in 1499 is one of the most significant works of the late Gothic period in Dubrovnik. The cloister built in 14th century is one of the most important masterpieces of the late Romanesque style on Croatian coast. The pharmacy founded in 1317 is one of the oldest in Europe and is still operating.http://experience.dubrovnik.hr/eng/vodic_novost.php?id=1553#.VFNbhkTmSCw The library is one of the most significant old libraries in Croatia and in the world. Among its 20.000 items there are lots of old manuscripts, incunabula and 7 church chorales. The museum collection in the great Renaissance hall includes unique collection of the inventory of the old pharmacy, items from the goldsmith trade, paintings, exhibits of rare l

                                          More Info

                                            Dubrovnik | all sights

                                            x
                                            ×

                                            FRANCISCAN MONASTERY & MUSEUMmuseums and galleries

                                            DOMINICAN MONASTERY – MUSEUM

                                            Ulica Svetog Dominika 4

                                            The Dominican Monastery, built from the 13th to 15th century, fits into the city walls as a part of ...

                                            DOMINICAN MONASTERY – MUSEUMSacral objects

                                            Photo coming soon

                                            Address | Location on Map

                                            Ulica Svetog Dominika 4

                                            Opening Hours

                                            9am-5pm

                                            Basic Info

                                            The Dominican Monastery, built from the 13th to 15th century, fits into the city walls as a part of the defence complex so the whole astonishing architectural complex can be seen from the City walls. Elements of the Romanesque, Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance styles are combined here in perfect harmony. The large, single-naved St Dominics Church is one of the most representative Gothic buildings on the East Adriatic. Monastery library has more than 220 valuable incunabula and ornamented manuscripts and documents. Monastery also houses many paintings from the 15th and 16th century school of painting, as well as the large 14th century Crucifix by Paolo Veneziano and the altar piece St Mary Magdalene painted by Titian and his assistants in 1550. Today its luxuriously ornamented atrium is an ideal stage for poetry recitals that are held there. Dominican Monastery complex also includes 4 smaller monastery churches not fully integrated into the complex. These are: St. Sebastian church, Chu

                                            More Info

                                              Dubrovnik | all sights

                                              x
                                              ×

                                              DOMINICAN MONASTERY – MUSEUMmuseums and galleries, sacral objects

                                              ST. SEBASTIAN’S CHURCH

                                              Ulica Svetog Dominika (St. Dominic Street) – near Ploče Gate

                                              ...

                                              ST. SEBASTIAN’S CHURCHSacral objects

                                              Photo coming soon

                                              Address | Location on Map

                                              Ulica Svetog Dominika (St. Dominic Street) – near Ploče Gate

                                              Opening Hours

                                              Closed

                                              Basic Info

                                              Small St. Sebastian's church with the semicircular Renaissance apse was built in 1466 to protect the city against plague. In 1808 it was rebuilt and turned into a prison. It's not used as church any more.

                                              More Info

                                                Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                x
                                                ×

                                                ST. SEBASTIAN’S CHURCHsacral objects

                                                Church of the Annunciation

                                                Ulica Svetog Dominika

                                                The Church of the Annunciation built by by the Renaissance master Petar Andrijić in 1534 is a fine ...

                                                Church of the AnnunciationSacral objects

                                                Photo coming soon

                                                Address | Location on Map

                                                Ulica Svetog Dominika

                                                Opening Hours

                                                Closed

                                                Basic Info

                                                The Church of the Annunciation built by by the Renaissance master Petar Andrijić in 1534 is a fine example of the transitional Gothic and Renaissance style. In the church interior, there are votive messages written all over the walls. The custom has been retained to the present day.

                                                More Info

                                                  Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                  x
                                                  ×

                                                  Church of the Annunciationsacral objects

                                                  CHURCH OF ST. LUCAS

                                                  Ulica Svetog Dominika 4

                                                  This small, single neve paleo-Croatian church was built from 9th to 11th century. In the lunette abo ...

                                                  CHURCH OF ST. LUCASSacral objects

                                                  Photo coming soon

                                                  Address | Location on Map

                                                  Ulica Svetog Dominika 4

                                                  Opening Hours

                                                  This small, single neve paleo-Croatian church was built from 9th to 11th century. In the lunette above the door there are statues of saints carved in the Gothic style in 15th century. Today the church is used as an art gallery.

                                                  Basic Info

                                                  This small, single neve paleo-Croatian church was built from 9th to 11th century. In the lunette above the door there are statues of saints carved in the Gothic style in 15th century. Today the church is used as an art gallery.

                                                  More Info

                                                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                    x
                                                    ×

                                                    CHURCH OF ST. LUCASsacral objects

                                                    CHURCH AND CONFRATERNITY

                                                    Ulica Svetog Dominika

                                                    Rosary church was built in 1594 in mannerist and baroque styles. It was a part of Dominican Monast ...

                                                    CHURCH AND CONFRATERNITYSacral objects

                                                    Photo coming soon

                                                    Address | Location on Map

                                                    Ulica Svetog Dominika

                                                    Opening Hours

                                                    Open occasionally as gallery

                                                    Basic Info

                                                    Rosary church was built in 1594 in mannerist and baroque styles. It was a part of Dominican Monastery complex. Today it is used as an occasional gallery space

                                                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                    x
                                                    ×

                                                    CHURCH AND CONFRATERNITYsacral objects

                                                    FORMER CONVENT OF ST. CLAIRE

                                                    Paska Miličevića 4

                                                    Convent of St. Claire was the one of the best known among eight convents at the time. It was built d ...

                                                    FORMER CONVENT OF ST. CLAIRESacral objects

                                                    Photo coming soon

                                                    Address | Location on Map

                                                    Paska Miličevića 4

                                                    Opening Hours

                                                    Closed (not in function as convent)

                                                    Basic Info

                                                    Convent of St. Claire was the one of the best known among eight convents at the time. It was built during the 13th and 14th century. From the begining it housed a shelter for abandoned children and in 1432 one of the oldest orphanages was established there. The Orphanage building had window where unwanted children used to be left and it can still be seen in the nearby Zlatarićeva Street. The Napoleons authorities closed the convent and turned it into an ammunition store-house and stable. Today is used for various purposes.

                                                    More Info

                                                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                      x
                                                      ×

                                                      FORMER CONVENT OF ST. CLAIREsacral objects

                                                      SIGURATA CHURCH, CONVENT AND MUSEUM

                                                      Ulica od Sigurate 13 (Sigurata Street 13) | museum entrance: Ulica Celestina Medovića

                                                      Sigurata Church (Transfiguratio Domini) is a small single-nave church with a cupola, dating between ...

                                                      SIGURATA CHURCH, CONVENT AND MUSEUMSacral objects

                                                      Photo coming soon

                                                      Address | Location on Map

                                                      Ulica od Sigurate 13 (Sigurata Street 13) | museum entrance: Ulica Celestina Medovića

                                                      Opening Hours

                                                      museum open upon request

                                                      Basic Info

                                                      Sigurata Church (Transfiguratio Domini) is a small single-nave church with a cupola, dating between the 9th and the 11th centuries. The side naves and present Baroque facade were added during its reconstruction in the 17th century. In its foundations the archaeological remains of two 6th century churches were found. The Museum houses a collection of paintings from the 16th to the 19th century, liturgical items, a 14th century procession cross, two 18th century looms, lacework and embroidery.

                                                      More Info

                                                        Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                        x
                                                        ×

                                                        SIGURATA CHURCH, CONVENT AND MUSEUMsacral objects

                                                        ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH

                                                        Prijeko – at the eastern end of the street

                                                        The original pre-Romanesque church was a single-nave longitudinal church with a cupola. Its facade i ...

                                                        ST. NICHOLAS CHURCHSacral objects

                                                        Photo coming soon

                                                        Address | Location on Map

                                                        Prijeko – at the eastern end of the street

                                                        Opening Hours

                                                        Open only for St Nicholas day (Dec 6th)

                                                        Basic Info

                                                        The original pre-Romanesque church was a single-nave longitudinal church with a cupola. Its facade is built in the late Renaissance style. Its interior has pre-Romanesque relief ornamentation, 13th-14th centuries painting of the Madonna and a 16th century painted wood relief of St. Andrew.

                                                        More Info

                                                          Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                          x
                                                          ×

                                                          ST. NICHOLAS CHURCHsacral objects

                                                          ORTODOX CHURCH AND MUSEUM OF ICONSSacral objects

                                                          Photo coming soon

                                                          Address | Location on Map

                                                          Od Puča 8

                                                          Opening Hours

                                                          May – Nov 9am-2pm, closed on Sundays Dec-Apr 9am-2pm, closed on Sundays and Sundays

                                                          Basic Info

                                                          The Serbian Orthodox Church of Saint Annunciation was built in 1877. The church has a valuable collection of icons, dating from the 15th to 19th century. They are displayed in the Museum of icons located within the Orthodox Church complex. Museum also houses paintings of famous painter Vlaho Bukovac, as well as facsimile edition of the Gospel by St Miroslav and the Russian printed Gospel in a metal cover.

                                                          More Info

                                                            Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                            x
                                                            ×

                                                            ORTODOX CHURCH AND MUSEUM OF ICONSsacral objects

                                                            St. Ignatius Church

                                                            Poljana Ruđera Boškovića

                                                            The Church of St Ignatius is single nave, with side chapels and a semicircular divided apse. Its int ...

                                                            St. Ignatius ChurchSacral objects

                                                            Photo coming soon

                                                            Address | Location on Map

                                                            Poljana Ruđera Boškovića

                                                            Basic Info

                                                            The Church of St Ignatius is single nave, with side chapels and a semicircular divided apse. Its interior is decorated with magnificent Baroque frescoes with scenes from life of St. Ignatius de Loyola painted by Gaetano Garcia.The church belfry houses the oldest bell in Dubrovnik, cast in 1355.

                                                            More Info

                                                              Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                              x
                                                              ×

                                                              St. Ignatius Churchsacral objects

                                                              Collegium Ragusinum

                                                              Poljana Ruđera Boškovića

                                                              Famous Jesuit college Collegium Ragusinum leans to the church at the right angle. The building now h ...

                                                              Collegium RagusinumPublic buildings

                                                              Photo coming soon

                                                              Address | Location on Map

                                                              Poljana Ruđera Boškovića

                                                              Basic Info

                                                              Famous Jesuit college Collegium Ragusinum leans to the church at the right angle. The building now houses a classical grammar school. The old library includes over 10.000 volumes with valuable incunabula and manuscripts by Dubrovnik writers. The elegant convex-concave Baroque staircase from 1738 leads to the Poljana Ruđera Boškovića from the Gundulić Square. It resembles the one in Piazza di Spagna in Rome.

                                                              More Info

                                                                Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                x
                                                                ×

                                                                Collegium Ragusinumpublic buildings

                                                                MARITIME MUSEUM

                                                                Fort. St. John (1th and 2nd floor) Kneza Damjana Jude 12

                                                                The Maritime Museum is located on the first and second floors of Fort St. John. ...

                                                                MARITIME MUSEUMMuseums and galleries

                                                                Photo coming soon

                                                                Address | Location on Map

                                                                Fort. St. John (1th and 2nd floor) Kneza Damjana Jude 12

                                                                Opening Hours

                                                                summer (Mar 22 – Nov 2) 9am – 6pm winter (Nov 3 – Mar 21) 9am – 4pm closed on Mondays, on Dec 25, Jan 1 and Feb 3 (Feast of St Blaise)

                                                                Basic Info

                                                                The Maritime Museum is located on the first and second floors of Fort St. John. The exhibits give an overview of the development of Dubrovnik maritime trade and shipbuilding from its very start to the World War II and afterwards.

                                                                More Info

                                                                  Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                  x
                                                                  ×

                                                                  MARITIME MUSEUMmuseums and galleries

                                                                  AQUARIUM

                                                                  Fort. St. John (1th floor) Kneza Damjana Jude 12

                                                                  The Institute for Marine and Coastal Research runs a small aquarium with diverse Adriatic Sea flora ...

                                                                  AQUARIUMMuseums and galleries

                                                                  Photo coming soon

                                                                  Address | Location on Map

                                                                  Fort. St. John (1th floor) Kneza Damjana Jude 12

                                                                  Opening Hours

                                                                  summer 9am – 6pm winter 9am – 2pm closed on Mondays and national holidays

                                                                  Basic Info

                                                                  The Institute for Marine and Coastal Research runs a small aquarium with diverse Adriatic Sea flora and fauna displayed in 31 tanks.

                                                                  More Info

                                                                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                    x
                                                                    ×

                                                                    AQUARIUMhistoric site, museums and galleries

                                                                    Marin Držić’s House

                                                                    Široka ulica 7

                                                                    Modern audiovisual presentation shows the visitors life and works of the greatest Croatian Renaissan ...

                                                                    Marin Držić’s HouseMuseums and galleries

                                                                    Photo coming soon

                                                                    Address | Location on Map

                                                                    Široka ulica 7

                                                                    Opening Hours

                                                                    Tue – Sun 09.00 – 20.:30h Monday closed, Closed on public holidays

                                                                    Basic Info

                                                                    Modern audiovisual presentation shows the visitors life and works of the greatest Croatian Renaissance comedist from Dubrovnik, Marin Držić.

                                                                    More Info

                                                                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                      x
                                                                      ×

                                                                      Marin Držić’s Househistoric site, museums and galleries

                                                                      In 1991, the new permanent display of the Ethnographic Museum was opened in the renovated building o ...

                                                                      RUPE ETNOGRAPHIC MUSEUMMuseums and galleries

                                                                      Photo coming soon

                                                                      Address | Location on Map

                                                                      Od Rupe 3

                                                                      Opening Hours

                                                                      9am – 4pm closed on Tuesdays, on Dec 25, Jan 1 and Feb 3 (Feast of St Blaise)

                                                                      Basic Info

                                                                      In 1991, the new permanent display of the Ethnographic Museum was opened in the renovated building of the Rupe (Hole) Granary. The Granary, built in 1590, was used to store the municipal grain reserves in 15 large well-containers (silos) cut in stone on the ground floor. The history of the building is illustrated by photographs. The permanent exhibition illustrates the cultural heritage of the Dubrovnik region.

                                                                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                      x
                                                                      ×

                                                                      RUPE ETNOGRAPHIC MUSEUMmuseums and galleries

                                                                      The issue of the premises of the Archaeological Museum has not yet been settled; thus there is no pe ...

                                                                      ARHAELOGICAL MUSEUM – EXIBITIONS AT FORT REVELINMuseums and galleries

                                                                      Photo coming soon

                                                                      Address | Location on Map

                                                                      Fort Revelin, ground floor

                                                                      Opening Hours

                                                                      10 am – 4 pm, Wednesdays closed closed on Dec 25, Jan 1 and Feb 3 (Feast of St Blaise)

                                                                      Basic Info

                                                                      The issue of the premises of the Archaeological Museum has not yet been settled; thus there is no permanent display. Currently there are two exibitions on show in Fort Revelin: Early Medieval Sculpture of Dubrovnik and Environs and Revelin – Archaeological Research / Spatial Development / Foundry.

                                                                      More Info

                                                                        Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                        x
                                                                        ×

                                                                        ARHAELOGICAL MUSEUM – EXIBITIONS AT FORT REVELINhistoric site, museums and galleries

                                                                        Exhibits at the museum include part of the museum collection from the very beginnings of the museum ...

                                                                        NATURAL – HISTORY MUSEUMMuseums and galleries

                                                                        Photo coming soon

                                                                        Address | Location on Map

                                                                        Androvićeva 1

                                                                        Opening Hours

                                                                        9am – 4pm, closed on Sundays

                                                                        Basic Info

                                                                        Exhibits at the museum include part of the museum collection from the very beginnings of the museum in the late 19th century, thus reviving the Natural Science Office of the time.

                                                                        More Info

                                                                          Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                          x
                                                                          ×

                                                                          NATURAL – HISTORY MUSEUMhistoric site, museums and galleries

                                                                          The exhibition Dubrovnik in the Homeland War 1991-1995 is on display in Fort Imperial on Srđ Hill. ...

                                                                          EXIBITION “Dubrovnik in the Homeland War 1991-1995”Museums and galleries

                                                                          Photo coming soon

                                                                          Address | Location on Map

                                                                          Fort Imperial , Srđ Hill

                                                                          Opening Hours

                                                                          8am - 6pm closed on Dec 25, Jan 1 and Feb 3 (Feast of St Blaise)

                                                                          Basic Info

                                                                          The exhibition Dubrovnik in the Homeland War 1991-1995 is on display in Fort Imperial on Srđ Hill. During the Homeland war the fort was the first line of defence of Dubrovnik and it became a symbol for the heroic defence of the city. The exhibition was opened in 2008, and it's the first phase of the future permanent display of the Homeland War Museum in Dubrovnik. It consists of 4 thematic units: 1. the fall of the Dubrovnik Republic and the history of Fort Imperial 2. the Serbian-Montenegrin aggression in 1991 3. Victory Days – the liberation campaigns of the Croatian Army 4. the casualties among the population and to the civilian and heritage buildings in the Dubrovnik area

                                                                          More Info

                                                                            Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                            x
                                                                            ×

                                                                            EXIBITION “Dubrovnik in the Homeland War 1991-1995”historic site, museums and galleries

                                                                            SYNAGOGUE – MUSEUM

                                                                            Žudioska ulica 5 (Jewish Street)

                                                                            Dubrovnik Synagogue was constructed in 1408. It is the worlds oldest active Sephardic synagogue and ...

                                                                            SYNAGOGUE – MUSEUMSacral objects

                                                                            Photo coming soon

                                                                            Address | Location on Map

                                                                            Žudioska ulica 5 (Jewish Street)

                                                                            Opening Hours

                                                                            May-Nov 10am-8pm Mon-Fri. Dec-Mar 10am-1pm Mon-Fri. Apr 10am-3pm Mon-Fri

                                                                            Basic Info

                                                                            Dubrovnik Synagogue was constructed in 1408. It is the worlds oldest active Sephardic synagogue and the second oldest synagogue in Europe. The main floor still functions as a synagogue for Holy days and special occasions. The Synagogue museum exhibits religious relics and documentation about local Jewish population. In the past there was a door at the beginning of the street from Stardun that marked a living reserved only for Jews.

                                                                            More Info

                                                                              Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                              x
                                                                              ×

                                                                              SYNAGOGUE – MUSEUMsacral objects

                                                                              MOSQUE

                                                                              Miha Pracata Street 3

                                                                              The three story building is a former private house donated to the Islamic community by the city of D ...

                                                                              MOSQUESacral objects

                                                                              Photo coming soon

                                                                              Address | Location on Map

                                                                              Miha Pracata Street 3

                                                                              Opening Hours

                                                                              10am - 1pm

                                                                              Basic Info

                                                                              The three story building is a former private house donated to the Islamic community by the city of Dubrovnik. It includes a Masjid (place of worship), offices, a Mektebi (religious instruction room), a library and a Youth club.

                                                                              More Info

                                                                                Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                x
                                                                                ×

                                                                                MOSQUEsacral objects

                                                                                CABLE CAR TO SRĐ HILL – Lower station

                                                                                Lower station: Ulica kralja Petra Krešimira 4. bb

                                                                                Srđ Hill is a mountain behind the city of Dubrovnik that you can reach with the cable car in less t ...

                                                                                CABLE CAR TO SRĐ HILL – Lower stationViewpoints

                                                                                Photo coming soon

                                                                                Address | Location on Map

                                                                                Lower station: Ulica kralja Petra Krešimira 4. bb

                                                                                Opening Hours

                                                                                Jan, Dec 9am-4pm Feb-Mar, Nov 9am-5pm Apr-May, Oct 9am-8pm Jun-Aug 9am-12pm Sep 9am-10pm timetable: http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/?dubrovnik_excursion=timetable

                                                                                Basic Info

                                                                                Srđ Hill is a mountain behind the city of Dubrovnik that you can reach with the cable car in less than 4 minutes. The upper cable car station is located at 405 metres above sea level and has 3 terraces equipped with binocular telescopes, a panoramic restaurant, a souvenir shop, restrooms and an amphitheatre for 120 people. From there you can enjoy breathtaking views of the Old City of Dubrovnik, the crystal clear Adriatic Sea, and the numerous islands. In nearby Fort Imperial the exhibition Dubrovnik in the Homeland War 1991-1995 is on display.

                                                                                More Info

                                                                                  Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                  x
                                                                                  ×

                                                                                  CABLE CAR TO SRĐ HILL – Lower stationviewpoints

                                                                                  City Walls – main entrance

                                                                                  Stradun, Inner Pile gate

                                                                                  The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls are one of the most grandiose and preserved fortification ...

                                                                                  City Walls – main entranceCity walls and forts

                                                                                  Photo coming soon

                                                                                  Address | Location on Map

                                                                                  Stradun, Inner Pile gate

                                                                                  Opening Hours

                                                                                  Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

                                                                                  Basic Info

                                                                                  The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls built from 8th to the 16th century , encompass the city in an irregularly shaped polygon and are one of the most grandiose and preserved fortification monuments in Europe. Ramparts consist of main wall on the mainland side, outer wall with 10 semi-circular bastions and a moat. The main wall has 14 quadrangular and 2 circular towers, 2 angular fortifications and 4 bastions. Fort St. Lawrence (Lovrijenac) at Pile and Fort Revelin at Ploče, although outside the city walls, are also part of the defence system. The ramparts are up to 25 metres high and from 4 to 6 m thick on the land side and 1.5 to 3m on the sea side.

                                                                                  More Info

                                                                                    Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                    x
                                                                                    ×

                                                                                    City Walls – main entrancecity walls and forts

                                                                                    City Walls – entrance Fort St. Lucas

                                                                                    Ulica Svetog Dominika (St. Dominic's Street)

                                                                                    The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls built from 8th to the 16th century encompass the city in a ...

                                                                                    City Walls – entrance Fort St. LucasCity walls and forts

                                                                                    Photo coming soon

                                                                                    Address | Location on Map

                                                                                    Ulica Svetog Dominika (St. Dominic's Street)

                                                                                    Opening Hours

                                                                                    Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

                                                                                    Basic Info

                                                                                    The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls built from 8th to the 16th century , encompass the city in an irregularly shaped polygon and are one of the most grandiose and preserved fortification monuments in Europe. Ramparts consist of main wall on the mainland side, outer wall with 10 semi-circular bastions and a moat. The main wall has 14 quadrangular and 2 circular towers, 2 angular fortifications and 4 bastions. Fort St. Lawrence (Lovrijenac) at Pile and Fort Revelin at Ploče, although outside the city walls, are also part of the defence system. The ramparts are up to 25 metres high and from 4 to 6 m thick on the land side and 1.5 to 3m on the sea side.

                                                                                    More Info

                                                                                      Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                      x
                                                                                      ×

                                                                                      City Walls – entrance Fort St. Lucascity walls and forts

                                                                                      City Walls – Entrance Fort St. Johns

                                                                                      south-east part of the City Walls

                                                                                      The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls built from 8th to the 16th century , encompass the city in ...

                                                                                      City Walls – Entrance Fort St. JohnsCity walls and forts

                                                                                      Photo coming soon

                                                                                      Address | Location on Map

                                                                                      south-east part of the City Walls

                                                                                      Opening Hours

                                                                                      Jan- Feb- 10am - 3pm Mar - 9am - 3pm Apr - May - 9am - 6.30 pm Jun - Jul - 8am - 7.30pm Aug - 15 Sep - 8am - 7pm 15 Sep - Oct - 9am - 6pm Nov - Dec- 9.00 am - 3pm

                                                                                      Basic Info

                                                                                      The 1.940 metre-long Dubrovnik city walls built from 8th to the 16th century , encompass the city in an irregularly shaped polygon and are one of the most grandiose and preserved fortification monuments in Europe. Ramparts consist of main wall on the mainland side, outer wall with 10 semi-circular bastions and a moat. The main wall has 14 quadrangular and 2 circular towers, 2 angular fortifications and 4 bastions. Fort St. Lawrence (Lovrijenac) at Pile and Fort Revelin at Ploče, although outside the city walls, are also part of the defence system. The ramparts are up to 25 metres high and from 4 to 6 m thick on the land side and 1.5 to 3m on the sea side.

                                                                                      More Info

                                                                                        Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                        x
                                                                                        ×

                                                                                        City Walls – Entrance Fort St. Johnscity walls and forts

                                                                                        Prijeko Street

                                                                                        Prijeko – from Placa turn left to C.Medović Street (near the Franciscan Church)

                                                                                        Prijeko is a parallel street east of Stradun (Placa). 14 steep streets perpendicular to Prijeko lead ...

                                                                                        Prijeko StreetPublic squares and streets

                                                                                        Photo coming soon

                                                                                        Address | Location on Map

                                                                                        Prijeko – from Placa turn left to C.Medović Street (near the Franciscan Church)

                                                                                        Opening Hours

                                                                                        Always open

                                                                                        Basic Info

                                                                                        Prijeko is a parallel street east of Stradun (Placa). 14 steep streets perpendicular to Prijeko lead from hill slopes towards Placa. They were built according to Development plan from 1272. Houses in Prijeko have picturesque portals, balconies and windows in Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque style.

                                                                                        More Info

                                                                                          Dubrovnik | all sights

                                                                                          x
                                                                                          ×

                                                                                          Prijeko Streetpublic squares and streets

                                                                                          To manually optimise and edit your route

                                                                                          • Rearrange illustration
                                                                                            Drag and drop list items to rearrange them
                                                                                          • Remove attraction illustration
                                                                                            Click x to remove attraction from route
                                                                                          • Make route icon
                                                                                            Click MAKE ROUTE button again to generate new route on the map

                                                                                          When satisfied with your route

                                                                                          • Save route icon
                                                                                            Click SAVE ROUTE button to save it, you have to be logged in to save route
                                                                                          • Generate eBooklet icon
                                                                                            Click GENERATE eBOOKLET to generate pdf that you can print or save locally on your computer

                                                                                          Dubrovnik

                                                                                          Loading...